58. Different Circumstances

Comenzar desde el principio

Lapis: Well then, leave her to me.

Peridot: Lapis, are you sure about this?

[Peridot asks, visibly worried.]

Lapis: Huh, are you insinuating something?

Peridot: N-n-no, of course not!

Lapis: But...

Peridot: J-Just forget it, okay? It doesn't matter anyway, go get her! *forces a smile*

Lapis: Hmph.

[Lapis then flies towards Bluebird.]

Bluebird: *frightened* Oh shit, I've been spotted!

[Bluebird swiftly tries to fly away; however, Lapis, at high speed, gets in front of her, preventing her from fleeing.]

Bluebird: *impressed* Y-You sure are fast.

Lapis: Where do you think you're going, you runt!?

Bluebird: *angered* I won't let you catch me so easily! *summons her ice sword* I'm a brave soldier, I'll fight to the very end!

[Swords whooshing. Bluebird fires ice projectiles from her sword, which shift into copies of the sword itself; however, the ice swords suddenly stop right in front of Lapis, subsequently turning into water and dissipating, including the ice sword Bluebird holds in his hand.]

Bluebird: *confused* What the-?!

Lapis: I see you have forgotten that I can manipulate water even if it is in a solid state.

Bluebird (Aquamarine): Grrr, you stupid Ruby!

Bluebird (Eyeball): You never let me take control!

Bluebird (Aquamarine) You seriously still have no idea why I never let you take control?!

Bluebird (Eyeball): No, why would I?!

Bluebird (Aquamarine): You're a fucking idiot!

[Lapis, with a visible expression of disgust and discomfort on her face, watches as Bluebird talks to herself.]

Bluebird (Eyeball): So I'm just an idiot to you, huh?! Would you be so kind as to explain to me then why the fuck you're still fused with me?!

Bluebird (Aquamarine): Only out of necessity, just so you know! It's not that I like you or that I want to stay fused with you forever or anything like that, that's for sure!

Bluebird (Eyeball): What the fuck are you talking about?!

Lapis: Alright, I've had enough of you two.

[Lapis catches Bluebird with a water chain.]

Bluebird (Eyeball): Hey, would you mind leaving us alone?!

Bluebird (Aquamarine): We're in the middle of something very important, you know!

Lapis: You fed me up. And I'm not really in the mood to listen to a lovers' quarrel either.

Bluebird: *blushes* Do-d-d-don't talk bullshit!

[Bluebird struggles to break free of Lapis' water chains.]

Bluebird: Let me go!

Lapis: Shit, I've heard those same words so many times this day I've lost count. How many was it? Four? Maybe five? I dunno, were you keeping count by any chance?

Bluebird: Why the fuck should I!? *she asked struggling* Let me go now!

Lapis: Nope, you're coming with me.

[Lapis flies away, taking Bluebird with her.]

Bluebird: *shouts in fright* NOOOOOO!!

[Lapis arrives where Peridot and Connie are.]

Lapis: I've got her.

Peridot: Well done!

Connie: Now, back to Obsidian and Steven.

[Lapis, Peridot, and Connie fly away to Obsidian.]

[As the group flies through the sky, Lapis is seen with a downcast expression on her face, and Peridot is quick to notice.]

Peridot: Yo, Lapis, is everything all right? You look a little down.

Lapis: It's nothing, I'm fine... Well, sort of.

Peridot: Can you please be clearer?

Lapis: It's just... I can't stop thinking about that rejuvenating thing.

Connie: You mean the Gem Rejuvenator?

Peridot: That thing almost took all my character development!

Connie: It did.

Peridot: Briefly!

Lapis: You see, I just can't stop thinking about all the mess I made, all the havoc I wreaked, all the innocent Gems who could have gotten hurt! True, I was manipulated, brainwashed and all that. But what about all the planets I terraformed in the past, all the organic life I destroyed in the process? I was fully aware of everything I was doing back then, and yet... I BARELY EVEN REMEMBER THE PERSON I USED TO BE BEFORE ALL THE AWFUL THINGS HAPPENED!!

Peridot: ...

Lapis: THEN I THOUGHT - WHAT IF I GOT HIT WITH THAT THING RIGHT NOW?!! I'D JUST BE A BLANK SLATE, THAT'S FOR SURE!! BUT, WHAT IF THE CIRCUMSTANCES WERE DIFFERENT THIS TIME?!!

[While Lapis talks, Connie and Peridot, shocked by such statements, look at each other with visible concern on their faces.]

Lapis: WOULD I BE A HAPPIER GEM?!! WOULD I NOT BE SUCH A TERRIBLE FRIEND?!! WOULD I BE ABLE TO LOOK AT MYSELF AND NOT THINK I'M A MONSTER?!! WOULD YOU GUYS BE ABLE TO FULLY TRUST ME?!!

Peridot: Lapis, that's--

Lapis: Don't play dumb now, will ya?! Don't think I didn't notice the worried look on your face when I said I'd take care of Bluebird, Peridot!! YOU were afraid I'd lose control again, weren't you?!! Don't even try to deny it, because it was obvious you were!! I don't blame you, though. After the way I brutally tortured Malachite, Jasper and the other Lapis, you had every reason to be.

Peridot/Connie: ...

Lapis: Even if I had my reasons, I shouldn't have done such a thing. There is no excuse for my evil thoughts and deeds... I am evil.

[Lapis she says, letting out a sob, then takes a deep breath.]

Lapis: I'm evil, plain and simple... I'm a monster!

[Peridot then places her hand on Lapis' shoulder to bring her comfort.]

Peridot: Lapis, no one here thinks you are evil, much less a monster. You are a wonderful Gem despite everything that's happened, rest assured.

Connie: We all made mistakes in the past, but it's not impossible to find a way to deal with them and learn from them.

Peridot: Whatever happened in the past doesn't take away from the fact that you're our precious friend today. We're your friends too, we'll always be here to support you.

Connie: If the rejuvenator is ever used on you again, we'd do everything to get you back!

Peridot: The hell we would!

Lapis: Thank you guys. I hadn't been able to get that thought out of my head since that incident with Spinel years ago, but your words have made me feel a little more relieved.

Peridot: Just a little?

Connie: It's a start.