Reforming A Bond

Eva, wheeled around to the other side of the massive object. Her hand flattened on its metallic surface, the tan tinted aluminum cool beneath her palm. her eyes scanned the surface, a red mark was painted onto the right shoulder. It was in a fanciful multiplication symbol - the x - and had an L2 behind it.

Eva frowned.

"What the heck does that mean?" Eva asked, pointing at the symbol as best as she could from her wheelchair.

Lumina turned from where she was huddled with Soal. her eyes glanced at Eva's befuddled face, and then at the direction in which she was pointing. Lumina turned quickly around, mumbling something to Soal, and then she turned back around, walking in Eva's direction.

Lumina placed her hand gently on Eva's, easing it to rest on the wheelchair's armrest. Lumina's eyes were stuck on the symbol, her brows furrowed in concentration. Then, reaching up, her fingernails scratched down in a diagonal manner over the symbol. Jagged edges now tore into the symbol.

"What was that?" Eva asked, sounding like a little kid.

"Just... Another reminder that needed to be taken out."

A smile curled onto Lumina's lips. "How are you doing Eva?"

"Good. You?"

"Peachy," Lumina replied, a scowl reforming upon her face. Her back turned to Eva as she walked back over to Soal. Eva's eyes glanced down at the floor, slightly saddened that her sister was in this state. In a way, she also felt like Lumina was confiding more in her friend than her own flesh and blood.

Eva sighed.

» » » »

Lumina's head was caught in a jumble of madness. Her thoughts spun wildly to Heinz, then back to his stupid invention that he was so proud of, and then, Soal, for some odd reason.

Soal's back was turned to her, her fingers stretched beneath a table.

"You find anything," Lumina asked, her hands tucked in her pockets and back hunched like the Hunchback of Notre Dame.

"Bupkis," Soal repeated for the second time today.

Lumina slammed a fist against her thigh, grit her teeth, and growled. "Just... Take a break for a little. Let me try my hand."

Soal turned, her blue eyes cool as they took Lumina in. She held the HoloPad out to Lumina. Lumina held it, but didn't release it from Soal's grip. She stood there, fist gripping the HoloPad, trembling, her eyes forming tears as she looked at Soal.

Soal glanced at Lumina, her mouth forming a soft, sad frown. "Hera? What's wrong?"

Lumina tore the HoloPad from Soal's grip. Her back turned, her face red with embarrassment and tears. She dug her index knuckle into the corner of her eye. The tears streaming down her cheeks scalded her flesh.

Lumina slapped the HoloPad down before the large contraption. The screen splintered and cracked. Lumina flopped onto the floor, rubbed her palms together, and dug her fingernails under the nearest panel. The skin on her arm flexed with the tension of her muscle. With enough effort, she successfully removed the panel, exposing the frame along with all the jumbles of wires and circuit boards.

Eva wheeled herself over to Lumina's side. "Can I help you with anything, sis?" she asked.

Lumina picked up the HoloPad. "No. But I would appreciate that you not be hovering nearby. Please. Go talk to Soal or something."

Eva's mouth dropped. "Wha... Well..." Eva stuttered. "Fine. I'm just trying to be there for my little sister, like I was in the past, but I guess she only wants to push me away."

Lumina tuned around, anger streaked across her face. She pushed herself up onto her feet, and hovered over Eva in her wheelchair. Eva was nose to nose with Lumina, unwilling to shrink away from her little sister in fear. Lumina grit her teeth as she spoke. "I am not pushing you away! When I need your space mechanics, or any of your help for that matter, I will ask. As of right now, I do not want you within two feet of my being."

As Lumina continued with her rant, she felt tears welling in her eyes again. Trembling again, she grasped the arms of Eva's wheelchair. She bowed her head, her gaze on Eva's clacking knees.

Lumina's grip tightened around the arms, and then relaxed.

Lumina's gaze settled back on her sister. Her right hand removed itself from the arm and situated itself beneath Eva's back. Lumina eased Eva towards her, letting Eva rest her head on her collarbone as she hugged her tight. Eva wrapped her arms around Lumina's waist in an attempt to hug her back, finding it hard to wrap her hands around her slouched back.

"I'm sorry," Lumina cried, tears falling more freely than they had before. "I shouldn't have said that. I love you, and the kindness you've show me. You are my best friend, considering that mom never loved me, and dad was rarely around. Even while on the spacecraft, you sent me little texts and face chatted with me daily. All I can remember is that those smiles and little Holo grins were what kept me going, even when the world fell apart. Literally."

Lumina felt Eva trembling within her hold. Out of the corner of her eye, she glanced down at Eva. She was crying into her T-shirt. Lumina held her sister tighter, pity forming a hollow pit in her gut.

"I'm sorry," Lumina said.

"I'm sorry," Hera repeated.