XVIII.

You cross your arms in front of you, JJ's eyes widening at Spencer before looking over at you

You cross your arms in front of you, JJ's eyes widening at Spencer before looking over at you. You bite the inside of your cheek, Spencer's hand clenching and unclenching into a fist as he stands in front of the door.

"I, um, came to apologize."

"Are you apologizing because you mean it or are you apologizing to save face, Jennifer?" You ask, taking a couple steps toward Spencer.

JJ's eyes flick to the ground before looking at Spencer. Spencer clenches his jaw, his other hand still gripping the door so hard his knuckles are white. You analyze her, wondering why she's looking to Spencer rather than you.

"Ah, I see," you murmur, moving to stand right next to Spencer. "You really just want to save your friendship with Spencer."

JJ's eyes flick to you, a brief glint of anger flashing through them before she looks back at Spencer. Spencer snakes his arm around your waist, his hand rubbing your side slowly as he looks at JJ.

"Spence, we've—"

"No, you don't get to 'Spence' me, Jennifer," he says, his voice low and cold. "You literally put the woman I love in danger. She could've died because of you. Why? Why did you do it?"

"Because she in love with you," you say, eyes never leaving JJ. She turns her gaze to you, and you watch as one of her hand curls into a fist. "She loves you even though she has a kid and a whole ass boyfriend."

"Spence, she's lying, don't—"

"Don't call me that," Spencer says through clenched teeth. "I don't know what kind of delusion you're living, Jennifer, but we are not friends anymore." Spencer grips your waist tightly.

"But I love—"

"Stop," you hold your hand up. "Just stop. I don't know what you're trying to do or what you planned to accomplish by coming here and professing your love for Spencer, but it's not going to work, Jennifer."

"You're such a fucking bitch!"

You don't register the slap until your head is turned to the side, a soft gasp coming from you as the sting radiates across your cheek. You turn your head to look at JJ, her hand falling to her side. You don't realize how tight Spencer's grip is on your waist until you look up at him.

You've never seen Spencer really angry before. But how he looks now—it's scary. His eyes are cold, his nostrils flared, his lips pressed into a tight line. He's staring at JJ, her eyes widening with the realization of what she just did, flicking to look at Spencer's face. Heat spreads across your cheeks as you look at JJ, your own hand curling into a fist.

"Jennifer, I'm a man who was raised right, and I would never hit a woman." Spencer's voice is low, his tone so cold it makes you shiver. "But I swear on my fucking life, if you ever lay another hand on her, I will make your life a living hell."