II.

"Oh, shit, I'm sorry!"

Books fall to the ground, sprawling open on the concrete below you. You bend down, trying to gather them with shaky hands. Fuck, this is embarrassing.

"S-Sorry, it's my fault. I-I should've been watching where I was going."

You look up at the boy you collided with, watching him fumble with the books as he tries to stack them. You reach for the last book before standing up, handing it to the brown-haired boy in front of you. His hazel eyes fall on the book, then up to your face, a crooked smile playing on his lips.

"T-Thanks."

"I think you might have one of my books," you laugh, watching his eyes scan the covers quickly.

"Uh...'Psychopharmacology'?" He asks, pulling the book carefully out of the stack and holding it out to you.

You nod. "That's it. I'm taking a neuroscience class this semester and, uh, it's in this building so...not a normal chemistry student." A blush creeps into your face, and you push your long hair behind one of your ears.

"It's okay; I'm only nineteen and I'm getting my third PhD already," the boy says casually, almost like it's nothing. "In chemistry this time."

Your eyes widen. "What? You must be some sort of...brainiac or something."

He laughs, the sound high and child-like. "Something like that."

"Well, brainiac, my name is Y/n," you say, giving him a grin.

"Spencer."

"Uh, well I guess I'll see you around, then." You walk past the boy before turning around, catching his eye again. "And if you ever wanna talk chemistry or something, you can always find me in the library."

"O-Okay," Spencer stutters, clutching the books to his chest. "S-See you around."

The air is pleasantly warm as you and Spencer walk through Constitution Park, the leaves on the trees just beginning to turn orange and red. The sun is beginning to set, turning the sky pretty shades of pink and light purple. A slight breeze blows, ruffling through the trees and you and Spencer's hair. You find a bench that gives a stunning view of the sunset over the water, planting yourself in the middle of it.

Spencer sits next to you, his thigh almost touching yours. He pulls his bag strap over his head, placing it on the ground next to his feet. You fiddle with your fingers before looking over at him, a smile playing on your lips.

"So. Nine years."

Spencer raises his eyebrows. "Nine years."

"This is where you went after Caltech?" You ask, gesturing to D.C.

Spencer shakes his head. "No, I wasn't always here. I went back to Vegas for a couple years until I found out about the BAU."

You nod, leaning back against the bench. "How young were you?"