IX.

This chapter is so long and I'm sorry, I didn't mean for it to be!!

You stare out the window, zoning out as you look at the tarmac. A rush of emotions run through you—relief, longing, hurt, excitement. You turn your head, looking around at the people on the plane. You wonder how many of them are also leaving their old life behind.

A pang of hurt hits your chest, and you clench your jaw, pulling out your phone. Opening your email, you type out a message you know will never reach the recipient.

"Hey, brainiac. I, uh, just wanted to let you know I graduated yesterday with my master's. Isn't that crazy? I'm...leaving the West Coast. I just need a fresh start, you know? I can't believe it's been five years since we've talked. I...miss you. I miss you a lot. I hope you miss me, too. Or think of me. I think about you. All the time.
Yours, always.
Ace."

You hit send, trying to blink back the tears in your eyes. Seconds later, as always, the bounce back message pops up in your email. Sighing, you put your phone in your pocket, rifling through your carry-on bag, trying not to elbow the person immediately to your right. You pull out the piece of paper you'd carefully folded the night before, clutching it in your hands. You open it, eyes scanning the words on the page.

A letter to Spencer. You need closure—and the only way you can seem to get it is with pen to paper. You stare at the letter he'd never read—the letter you'd poured your heart out in. Swallowing, you fold the piece of paper and put it back in your bag, dropping the bag at your feet.

The plane begins moving, and your lower lip trembles, the tears blurring your vision. You shouldn't be crying—you're going somewhere new. Somewhere far away from California. Far away from Nevada. Far away from the memories of Spencer Reid. But you know you're leaving part of yourself here. The innocent part of yourself. The part of yourself that believes in love.

As the plane liftoffs, you stare at the image of Nevada fading away until it's nonexistent, a distant speck quickly becoming part of your past.

"Garcia, what did you find?"

The team crowds around the table, Garcia on speaker. JJ's in the other room with Mr. and Mrs. Woode—which proves to be a good decision when Garcia begins speaking.

"So, I did some dark digging, and I found out that Mrs. Woode has a sister."

"Why didn't she tell us that?" Prentiss asks.

"Emily don't interrupt my genius! I'm getting there," Garcia scolds playfully. "This sister, Kelly, was given up right after she was born. She's older than Mrs. Woode, and the parents never contacted her or told Mrs. Woode about her sister."

"So...the unsub could be Kelly?" You wonder aloud, furrowing your brows.

"Here's what's sad, though—Kelly recently lost a baby. A boy."