The boy from the mountains

Start from the beginning

"It's okay. You're okay." Hiccup said calmly, stroking the hair of his sweat soaked forehead. The boy looked up to him through glassy eyes that held such sorrow and...fear.

"Who are you?"

It was then Hiccup realised in his haste he didn't remove his mask. He felt like such an idiot. This boy is clearly frightened beyond belief and being rescued by a mysterious masked dragon rider with a night fury will clearly not help.

"My name is Hiccup." He said whilst removing his mask. His brown curls fell across his face, sticking out wildly after being trapped in the helmet for so long. The injured boy stared up in slight shock, captured by his rescuer's kaleidoscope eyes. 

"Thank you Hiccup. I thought I was going- I didn't think anyone would find me in time."

"Really it's no trouble at all. May I ask how you ended up down there..." Hiccup trailed of giving the boy an expectant look.

"J-Jack. And to be honest I don't really no. One minute I was flying to my hut and the next I was in the cave with a broken leg and fractured wrist. I could barely move so I used my magic, yes magic don't look at me like that, I used my magic to create the snowflake flare in hopes someone would find me. And you did."

"I'm sorry magic? There's no such thing as magic." Hiccup exclaimed. Jack raised his eyebrow and eyed up the dozing dragon next to him.

"Weren't dragons a thing of legend before your ancestors discovered them all those centuries ago."

"Touche." Hiccup chuckled, but his immense curiosity still remained. Jack seemed to catch on as he opened his palm, albeit it very shakily, to reveal a tiny snowflake floating above his skin. Hiccup's jaw dropped open in amazement as he watched the snowflake dance through the air then land on his nose. He giggled as it melted into his skin sending a shiver down his spine.

"Wow. That is just...wow!" The dragon rider breathed staring into Jack's icy blue orbs.

"Really?" Jack seemed unsure, confused almost. Hiccup couldn't fathom how the boy failed to see how amazing his gift was.

"Of course it is." Jack smiled shuffling around to sit in a comfier position. Only he caught his leg on a rock making him hiss in pain. "Shit I completely forgot. Lets get you back to the edge and don't you dare protest." Jack closed his move and trained his eyes to his hands as Hiccup helped him up onto Toothless.

---

"Jesus Hiccup you can't just speed of like- who is this?" Astrid glared at Jack, holding her axe dangerously close to his neck.

"Chill Astrid, he is no enemy. This is Jack, the person who created the snowflake." Clearly the introduction didn't help as the riders still wore confused expressions. Hiccup sighed and helped Jack onto a stool before explaining further. "He must have been shot down and hit his head as he doesn't remember much. All he can tell me is that the impact broke his wrist and leg, so he created a flare with his magic."

"Ha! Magic, yeah right." Snotlout exclaimed receiving a smack from Hiccup.

" Shut it Snotlout." He turned round to face Jack, who was looking very uncomfortable, and gave him a warm smile. "Show them."

Once again Jack created a small snowflake that glided gracefully around the room, eventually melting from the heat of the fire. The twins started to laugh, scaring Jack.

"That was awesome! Oh the havoc we will reek with you on our side!" Tuffnut cried out. The boy flinched at the noise, wanting to curl into himself and disappear. If only he had the strength to fly.