Dragon-shifter #3

The arrival of the shifters and the threat of yet another war caused strife among the villagers. No one wanted to surrender their newfound peace they had only just got back. Who would? Berk had become even more of a haven since rebuilding already home to flocks of dragons old and new.

Of course the shifters completely understood their lack of enthusiasm. Hiccup however did not. During the week since their arrival Hiccup had become irritable, exploding at anyone who bad mouthed Jack and his friends. One day was particularly bad as the receiver just happened to be Gobber.

"The villagers are one argument away from rioting hiccup. I think you should reconsider this whole rescue mission."

"What is there to reconsider Gobber?" Hiccup snapped not looking up from the new saddle he was seeing together.

"You don't even know these people. And the fact they just show up as soon as Drago disappears doesn't seem suspicious to you?"

"No it doesn't." Hiccup shouted slamming the strips of leather on the workbench and spinning around to face his mentor. Rage churned in his eyes, burning brighter than the flame of a monstrous nightmare.

"This isn't just innocent lives at risk, it's children's lives. How can I in good conscience leave them to fight alone?"

"This isn't your fight."

"Jack is one of us. That makes it our fight."

Gobber recoiled at the chiefs tone. Hiccup stormed out of the blacksmiths only to find half the village watching him.

"What?" Hiccup shouted sternly and the Vikings quickly returned to their day. Hiccup whistled for toothless and flew deep into the forest where he could cool off.

Thiana, Aster and Jack were watching from Hiccup's hut. Thiana nudged Jack in the ribs and nodded her head in the direction of the forest.

"Go talk to him."

"Thia he won't want to talk to me."

"Yes he will." A voice piped up from down the hill. Astrid joined the trio arms crossed against her chest. "I know Hiccup and you are exactly who he wants to talk to."

"Go on Frost." Aster pushed the younger boy setting him of down the hill.

When he has the space, Jack sprouted his snow white wings and launched into the sky. He flew for what felt like hours dipping in and out of the clouds that clung to the trees like a blanket. He was about to give up when he saw a streak of black against the horizon heading out to sea.

"Hiccup what are you doing?" Jack muttered to himself.

Once out to sea Jack began to recognise where they were headed. The very same sea stack Hiccup first met Jack.

Jack landed silently on the dew-clad grass and he found himself deeply regretting not wearing shoes. He plopped himself  next to Hiccup who near enough jumped out of his skin.

"Holy shit Jack warn me next time!"

"Sorry."

Hiccup cast his gaze back out to sea. Waves roll over the surface; They scatter the light, the hue of the water ever changing yet always familiar, always blue. It was the comfort Hiccup needed an ever present rock he finds himself visiting more and more often.

"So...the ocean is still blue..." Jack stated trying to break the ice and failing miserably.

Hiccup giggled - okay maybe Jack's icebreaker did work - and sighed, leaning back against his elbows.

"If you are here to cheer me up I appreciate it but I'm fine."

"You didn't seem fine back at Berk." Jack pointed out. Hiccup was about to protest but gave up before he begun.