Chapter Two

It's been almost an hour since her sister left and Bethany made up her mind to take to her sister's advice and go out to ease her healing process so she picked up her phone and decided to call her one friend that she met on Instagram some years back when she was still in her hustling stage. Janie has been the best person to find a friend in and although they hang out often they still manage to keep in touch and check up on each other.

She dialed her number and waited for her to pick up as it rang whilst checking the time on the clock in her room. Soon, Janie picked up and she smiled.

"Sup baby girl, how are you doing?" Janie's soft soothing voice sounded from the other end of the line and she sighed.

"Hi Jane, I am good, how about you?" she asked then cleared her throat.

There was a pause before Janie spoke. "Are you fine? What happened? Your voice sounds like you have been crying for a long time now" there was some shuffling on the other end before it stopped. "What's up?"

"Uh... nothing, it's nothing actually... I was uh... going to ask if you wanted to hang out, like right now?" Bethany asked.

"Yeah, sure, my place?" asked Janie.

"Perfect, I'll be there in twenty minutes" Bethany replied then got up from her bed to prepare to leave.

"Okay, will be expecting you"

"Okay, bye for now" Bethany replied and disconnected the call.

...

"I am very much aware mum," said Ricardo as he buried his face in his palms and let out a sigh as he tried to relieve the stress of the day coupled with what his mum was telling him at the moment.

"You're aware? Then why aren't you married yet? Ricardo, you can't keep mourning over your late wife. It was a very sad event that she died during childbirth but you have to move on, you can't keep using that as an excuse not to entertain any more women wanting to date you" she told him and he resist the urge to throw his hands up in the air or roll his eyes.

"It's been four years since she passed away and you have a beautiful young daughter who needs motherly care," she said.

"Mum, you're there for her"

"Yes, I am there for her but as her grandmother. There's a little space that I can fill in her life, even if she can't get her biological mother's love, she should have someone to call her mother. A mother is very important in every child's life"

"I am aware of that mum, very much aware that I can get any lady that I want but I am not just looking for a lady for my pleasure alone, I want someone that would not just love me but will love and cherish my daughter. Gwen is my priority and if I don't find a lady who loves my daughter truly and not like the girls, I have tried dating in the past, then I better just be her parents forever" he tells his mother but she wasn't having it.

"I get you but if you just focus more on work and just picking your daughter from school without actually going out for yourself, how would you meet that girl? You are getting old and I don't want some sugar baby for you" his mother asked and he let out another sigh.

"I am a fine twenty-nine-year-old man, mum, please don't stress over this"

"Ricardo, I am just so worried about you and yo-" he cuts his mum mid-sentence.

"You don't have to be mum, I really appreciate your concern but please don't push me to make a mistake that will cause I and Gwen heartache, please mum" he begged while looking into her eyes and she looked down at her hands.

He was right about it, Gwen will need a mother that will love her and not someone who will be nice to her whenever her son was around his daughter. He needed time and she will let him have it, she just didn't want them to be alone and be missing anything.