28

"Okay, so what's the plan for Bull's Sleaze?" Billie asked, leaning sideways and looking out from behind Maggie's shoulders out at the night, "We're not just going to bust up in there and start a brawl, are we? I don't know if you've noticed, but I kind of can't really run right now."

Maggie readjusted her hair under her hat so less of it showed before she took the reins in her hand and set their horse to a light trot, keeping her eyes on the road. Behind her, Billie cocked the pistol in her left hand, also being vigilant in case any of Wesley's men were crawling around or if they were suddenly attacked. Not for the first time, Billie was unbelievably glad Mara had taught her how to shoot ambidextrously in case one hand was incapacitated. Billie never believed it would come in handy in the past expect for making shooting a bigger challenge, but here she was: dominant hand incapacitated.

"Well, these contracts have the prices and payments required for each girl" Maggie explained, "But Lily's log book is what contains the amount that has already been paid for each girl. We need to get that book. The problem is that she keeps it behind the bar. So we will have to find a way to get that without making everyone suspicions. I haven't quite thought that far ahead to be honest, but no brawls. I'm not exactly physically strong, and I'd rather not fight someone."

"Let me guess" Billie said, "Wesley wouldn't allow Lily to hold onto the contracts herself..."

Maggie nodded, steering their horse in another direction, "She told me he refused to let her know the amount for each girl either. I suspect many of these girls have been free for a while now"

"So do you know how to get to town from here without being seen?"

"I know a way to get us to the pharmacist at least. But Bull's Sleaze might be a different story. We can go through the back entrance, but the only way we can get to the girl's rooms is if we cut through the kitchens and come out to the bar. Which we have to do anyway if we want to get that log book."

"So we'll have to sneak around..."

"It's unfortunate but there's no other way to go" Maggie said a bit dejectedly, "I'm just worried...I have no idea what will be waiting for us. I hope my girls are okay"

They fell silent, both pondering the best way to go about their plan without absolutely getting caught and then probably taken straight to Wesley. As they approached closer to the main town square, Maggie and Billie grew even more wary, keeping their eyes carefully peeled out for any threats. As stated, Maggie knew back roads and more deserted areas to travel that would be less frequented by townsfolk, so the chances of their voyage being intercepted were much more slim. There were a few drunk men, ambling around and hiccupping, but they kept to themselves so Maggie and Billie ignored them.

They rode in silence, making sure to avoid places that Maggie thought would have the most activity in the night. Billie couldn't help but think they were truly lucky they were travelling in the dark of the night and that most of the town was asleep. The horse they were riding was one of the younger ones and Billie knew he probably wasn't used to having so much weight on him at once. She would have preferred to rode Nightlock, but she knew her horse was still a bit tired after the long ride back from Thomas's and needed a bit of time to rest.

"How do you know about these back roads?" Billie asked, "I thought you weren't allowed out of Bull's Sleaze."

"We weren't" Maggie responded, "Lily would actually give us time outside though so we could figure out escape routes and get to know the city...Just in case"

Billie nodded, but fell silent. It turned out that the just in case had actually come in handy because Maggie knew of the way to get to the pharmacist without them having to go through the main road. When they arrived at the darkened home of the medic, Maggie took them around to the back and stopped the horse beside the back entry of the shop.