11

"It's open" Maggie called out from the interior of the room.

Billie pushed open the door quietly, her head tipped down as she stepped inside. She closed the door behind her and willed herself to be brave.

"Oh I'm sorry, young man." Maggie said, using the outrageously thick, wanton accent most of the women who worked there used, "I'm not available tonight."

Billie looked up and removed her hat, watching Maggie impassively. For a moment, Maggie just stared at her wide eyed in shock, and they both watched each other, silence reigning in the room. And then Maggie's expression roared to life, frustration and elation among the two most prominent.

"What are you doing here?!" she hissed, dropping the fake accent, "Stop coming here! I told you I am not your mother. Let go of your silly obsession and go back to your home.

"Look, I don't know why you're trying to protect me, but I'm an adult now. I don't need protecting anymore. I know you're my mother. Stop pushing me away!" Billie responded hotly, "It's time for me to protect you. You've had to deal with getting fucked by dirty old men and sleazy cheating assholes and who knows what other horrors you've had to endure for so many fucking years, but no more! I'm getting you out of this hellhole whether you want me to or not. So shut the hell up and just let me do what I want!"

Maggie's mouth snapped shut and her eyes widened in surprise. She blinked in shock for a good few seconds, staring at Billie like she was suddenly seeing-truly seeing-her for the first time. Billie grit her teeth, feeling something swell up in her chest. Something truly melancholic but at the same time some indescribable joy. It was threatening to tear her apart.

"Well you certainly are stubborn..." Maggie chuckled, her eyes welling up with proud, unshed tears, "You don't know how many years I wished for us to speak like this...To at least have one proper conversation together. I never imagined it would be in a whore house with you dressed as a male and telling your own mother, of all people, to shut the hell up."

Billie averted her gaze, staring at the ground and breathing harshly, fighting to keep her tears from falling. She would be strong. She would be strong dammit fuck sake!

"I haven't seen you since you were a loud, blue eye little thing swaddled in a blanket." Maggie let out a breathless sob, "I thought I would never see you again...And then there you were earlier today, grown up and strong and beautiful. My beautiful baby Billie, all grown up..."

"You remember my name?" Billie whispered, blue eyes watering and throat tightening dangerously.

"I could never forget my child's name."

Billie sniffled, her voice breaking while she spoke, "I thought you abandoned me. I thought I didn't have a family."

Maggie shook her head and patted the bed next to her, "Come here, my baby girl."

Billie knew she told herself to stay strong and not to move, but nothing could keep her from walking over to Maggie. Next thing she knew, she was curled up into Maggie's side, sobbing into her shoulder and gripping her nightdress like a lifeline. She didn't even realise how hard she had been crying until Maggie rubbed her back soothingly, shushing her lightly.

"It's okay Billie...it's okay, baby."

"I've felt so alone these past years..." Billie blubbered, "So, so alone."

"I know...I'm sorry..."

They sat there for a while, Maggie, just rocking Billie back and forth soothingly as she exhausted nineteen years' worth of tears. Billie, feeling for the first time like she could finally let her guard down and just let her emotions wash over her. She could finally be the vulnerable Billie she kept locked tightly away...