26

Maggie stood up shakily, glaring at Brandon and Ezra furiously.

"Are you the one that put those injuries on her?" she asked Brandon, her voice pitched low and dangerous, "I may be exhausted, but you better believe I'm not afraid to kick your ass if I have to."

"I didn't, ma'am" Brandon said, staring at Billie. She turned her gaze away sharply, her teeth clenched, "But it was my fault she got them in the first place."

"You said he would keep her safe!" Maggie's livid gaze shot to Ezra, "Where the hell is a shotgun when you need one?!"

"I thought he would!" Ezra looked at Brandon in alarm, "I thought you had things under control. Help me out here man! She's about to shoot us a new asshole!"

"Mama, stop" Billie cut in with a sigh, her gaze trained on Brandon. Maggie and Ezra turned to her in surprise, "It wasn't his fault. I brought this on myself. Stupidly."

There was a moment where everyone fell silent, just watching the stare off between Billie and Brandon. Brandon's brows furrowed, and Billie gave him a dark look before turning away from him and facing her mother, hobbling her way forward.

"But I'm fine." Billie smiled, though she knew it wasn't reaching her eyes. She was pissed off. She was pissed off and angry, "A little beat down, but I'll manage."

"Oh baby girl..." Maggie crooned, walking up to Billie and cradling her cheeks in her hands, "I'm so glad you are okay. I don't know what you're been through to end up this injured, but I am also so, so glad you are okay."

Billie smirked, "Yes. But you aren't. No offense, but you and Ezra both need baths."

"Hey!" Ezra said indignantly, "We've been on the road for three damn days. Of course we need a home with with food and clothes to change in?"

"Yes, actually."

"Dammit" Ezra muttered, rolling his eyes in annoyance, "I just had to end up with the wrong crazy woman."

Maggie and Billie both shot him glares, raising dangerous brows.

"Oh don't give me that. You both know you're crazy." He said, pointing a finger at Maggie, "We jumped willingly into Death Valley. You have no excuse."

Maggie shrugged, "I guess that's valid enough."

"Ezra, there's a guest bathroom on this level if you go past the dining hall." Billie shook her head in amusement and then turned to her mom. "You can come upstairs with me if you need a bath and some rest."

"I'd like that."

Billie nodded and then she walked out of the parlor with Maggie, sparing Brandon only a brief glance as she walked past him. He was watching her, no particular expression on his face. Her eyes narrowed, and she snapped her gaze away, her fist clenched.

_____________________________

Maggie stripped off her clothes slowly, grimacing a but when she tugged too harshly on her injured arm. Billie's gaze went to her mother's naked body and her throat tightened dangerously. Billie felt sick to her stomach as she stared at all the scars on her mother's porcelain skin. It was damaged and rough and cut up like the bark of a tree. Clearly, she had been abused for so long. It made her blood boil. Here was her mother who had been subjected to untold horrors in her life. Damaged irreparably, and yet she still was fighting to get her freedom.

She stepped into the bath Billie had drawn and settled into the hot water, sighing in bliss as her joints cracked and popped. Billie plopped down onto the lid of the toilet, carefully stretching out her leg.