They stood beside each other in silence, watching the end of the street as if the postman was still there.

"He didn't even recognise me, after years of being so close and so excited to attend Dostira together, he..." Charlie trailed off as his throat tightened and his eyes began to glisten with tears.

He cleared his throat and quickly threw his bag into the car and slammed the boot, he went to the driver's seat as Audrey was stuck in place, staring at him with concerned but bewildered eyes.

"Well, I have to stop acting surprised. Things like that happen all the time in my world. Come on, let's go" He quickly said as he opened the car door and sat inside.

She quickly ran over to her door, opened it and placed the package inside for her mother to see. She then locked the door and took one last look at her small house before running back over to Charlie's car.

As she sat besides him, there was tension as she could almost see his pain but didn't know what to do about it. Part of her wanted to reach out and embrace him, but another part of her shied away. There was conflict within her, as she didn't know how to comfort Charlie on something she didn't know anything about.

"Well, off we go!" She said enthusiastically, attempting to shift the mood. But as Charlie started the car and they began to leave the street, the mood remained dismal. She looked out of her window hoping that the farther they got away from their small town, the better Charlie would feel as she hoped his thoughts would shift to something else.

⤜⤛

It had been an hour of silent driving and Audrey didn't recognise her surroundings anymore, all she could see were trees that were different shades of green and an empty, long, windy road ahead of her. Her mind wasn't keeping track of where she was being taken as all she could think about was Charlie. She didn't have many friends growing up and so she couldn't begin to comprehend what it must have been like for Charlie to lose someone you thought you never would, she slowly glanced over at him. She stared at his messy dirty blonde hair that he hid under a beanie and his maroon coloured sweater that loosely fit his body.

She smirked before swiftly pulling the beanie off his head to reveal his dark blonde curls. 

"So are we almost there yet Binko?" She said as Charlie smiled and reach a hand out to try and take the beanie back, the car gently swerving as the two lightly fought over it.

"Come on Audrey, give it back" he said as he placed both hands on the wheel but looked over at her often.

"I'm cold, so just let me hold onto it for a while" Audrey said, lying through her teeth and he knew it.

"Oh yea, I think you're a liar and just want something that's mine" He said as he smiled but kept his gaze on the road.

"Nope, I'm actually freezing" Audrey giggled as tucked her neck into her jumper and held her knees to her chest for a moment.

"Sure Audrey, whatever! Go ahead keep it!" Charlie chuckled as she looked over to see her rose coloured lips smiling. Her long brown wavy hair lay behind her shoulders and against the car seat, Charlie couldn't help but stare at how it shone a golden tone whenever the light hit it as they drove.

"So Binko, you got any friends at this school or are you a loner like I expect you to be" She said as she narrowed her eyes at him and he rolled his eyes at her before looking back at the road.

"I actually do have friends! I have my best friend Nora, she's unlike anyone I've ever met and rather special at Dostira" he replied with a grin on his face.