I stood to my feet, making my way by the dying embers of the fire pit in the middle of the hall. The wisps of silver grey smoke curled and danced their way through the cool midnight air,

"There's a stairway that leads to an opening in the roof. I thought it would be a good place to reflect."

He nodded. There was another moment of silence, save for the sounds of the night outside.

He exhaled. The elf's soft and delicate features were bathed in a soft, diffuse glow, his hair shimmering beneath the silver moonlight.

"So..."

I looked away, feeling the familiar sense of uncertainty rearing its head within me.

"Legolas...I...I don't want to talk about it, I'm sorry."

His brows knitted together in a frown.

"So your plan is to just act as if nothing ever happened?"

I let out a frustrated sigh, one arm instinctively rubbing the other.

"What actually happened, Legolas?"

He seemed slightly taken aback, a moment of silence befalling the hall. 

He slowly took a step towards me. My eyes fell to the ground, unable to meet his gaze.

"Daeriel...tell me that you felt...something."

Yes, I do.

"I..."

I do. Without a doubt in my mind .

Every time our hands touch, I feel shivers run through my skin. Every time he smiles at me, I feel my heart skip a beat. Every time we're together, I feel all my worries dissipate, as if nothing could go wrong in that moment. When we talk, I feel as if I have opened my heart to him, and him to me. I feel safe. I feel secure.

But that mindset was selfish. It wasn't just about me. Especially when everyone I ever got close to seemed to get hurt. Because of me.

I did not want that recurring nightmare of mine to become a reality.

"Legolas...you..." I struggled to find the words, "...you don't understand-"

"Then help me understand." Legolas interrupted, taking another step closer towards me. His eyes pleaded with mine and his voice was soft.

"Tell me what's wrong, tell me what I can do to help. Just...talk to me, Daeriel."

As he searched through my eyes, my mind was tugging me away, but my heart was screaming at me to just give in. To just break down and to just dive into his warm embrace like I had done previously.

But this time it was different.

I must have remained silent, because Legolas sighed, a look of regret passing over his expression.

"I'm sorry." He nodded as he stepped back. "I guess I was wrong. I apologise for misjudging our relationship."

I cursed myself in my mind. Why didn't I say anything? Why couldn't I just.....

The elf prince turned around, walking towards the exit.

Don't let him go. Don't let him walk away.

"Legolas, wait."

As he turned around, I closed the gap between us in a few strides. Before I could stop myself, I grabbed his tunic, pulling his lips onto mine.

The moment our lips touched, the rest of the world vanished. All I could feel was him. His warmth, his touch, his being. His arms slowly wrapped around my waist, tugging me closer until there was no space left between us, my body melting into his.

In that moment, I truly let go. All my worries, troubles and problems evaporated, all I knew was him. All I cared about was him. It was as if everything in the universe was exactly the way it should be.

I felt his hand travel up my body, leaving a trail of goosebumps, cupping my cheek and deepening the kiss. Our lips moved in perfect harmony with each other, sending jolts of electricity through my veins with his every touch.

The kiss was gentle but passionate, comforting but demanding, intimate but electrifying. It was everything and nothing that I thought a kiss would be like, igniting a burning fire that coursed through every fibre of my body.

When we finally pulled apart, I was breathless, my cheeks blushing hotly as I gazed up into his blue eyes. For the first time, I noticed the silver flecks that were buried amongst the ocean blue of his irises, making his eyes all the more captivating, all the more enchanting.

Legolas brought his hand up, gently caressing my cheek with his thumb. He studied my face carefully, as if trying to memorise every inch of it, his eyes sparkling as his lips curved into a warm smile.

"You're breathtaking."

I felt my blush deepen beneath his scrutiny.

"There's no need for flattery, my lord," I replied softly.

" I make no exaggeration." Legolas tucked a misplaced strand of hair back behind my ear, sending shivers down my spine.

I sighed, wrapping my arms around his neck and playing with the golden strands of his hair.

"I'm sorry that I ran away, I was just...scared that..."

He cut me off gently. "You don't have to share anything if you are not ready. I understand."

I shook my head. "I'm done keeping things from you. I am ready. I trust you."

Legolas took my hands in his. "Are you sure?"

I nodded.

"I can't just conceal my past forever. You deserve to know who I really am."