Chapter Six

This chapter is a bit longer to make up for the long wait! Thank you so much for your patience. <3
~~~~~~~~~~

After school, you usually attended Addison's cheer practice so that the two of you could go home together when it was over, and today was no different. Well, aside from the fact that Wyatt seemed eager to join you, even insisting on bringing along a relatively large group of his friends.

You sat closer to the top of the bleachers, sketchbook in hand as per usual, and analyzed the pack of wolves that sat around you curiously. Up close they all seemed so...normal. Not at all what you'd been taught to believe growing up.

That being said, you had never quite fallen into the stimulus that your parents and the rest of the humans had always believed about other races and people. It was one of the major reasons that you had been outcasted in the first place.

While Addison was similar to you in your beliefs, she was also more uneducated and confused about the subjects and had originally tended to stay quiet about them due to lack of information. Of course that had all changed when she met Zed, but she had popularity and a place on the cheer team to back her up in the eyes of the people at your school.

You were just her awkward, weirder sister known for completely random bursts of passion whenever you felt the need to speak up. It didn't sit well with the other high schoolers, which bothered you, but not as much anymore. Over time you'd learned that you only needed to care about the opinions of those you loved, which was one of the reasons you were so set on keeping Addison safe. She was all you had.

"Hey, whatcha got there?" You flinched lightly at someone's voice breaking you out of your thoughts, blinking in the direction it came from. Leaning over your sketchbook was one of the werewolves you recognized from the presidential debate, a friendly yet slightly naive girl from what you had seen of her in the hallways.

"O-Oh, um, it's nothing really. Just a sketchbook." You leaned away from her a bit uncomfortably, not used to having people in your personal space. Her eyes sparkled as a pretty adorable grin stretched onto her features.

"Lemme see!" Before you could protest, the werewolf ripped it from your grasp, bright green eyes scanning the opened page with more expressive interest than you had ever seen on anyone. Your face flushed lightly when she gasped, pointing to one of the sketches on the page, "Is that me??"

You nodded cheekily, desperately trying to ignore the redness of your own cheeks, "Sorry, I didn't mean to draw you without your permission. I just like drawing things I find pretty, and well- '' You mentally slapped your face for only making things weirder the longer you talked.

Thankfully, the girl didn't seem uncomfortable at all. Instead, her face morphed into a look of surprise and she smiled widely, fangs flashing, "Don't be sorry, I love it! No one's ever called me pretty before." Her genuine beaming eased some tension in your shoulders and you felt yourself grow curious.

"Really? But you're so beautiful, I knew I had to draw you the moment I saw you." Maybe you were overdoing it, but the squeal of delight that came from her and the hug you got was definitely worth it.

You stiffened at the unexpected contact, but quickly laughed and gave her a hug back, "My name is Y/n by the way. What's yours?"

"Wynter! Nice to officially meet ya!" You smiled at her when the two of you parted, in awe at her genuinely friendly nature that was so alien in your school. "Could I maybe keep this?" Wynter motioned to the page in your book still in her hand, looking a bit sheepish.

       You could tell she was already a bit more at ease around you, despite you being human. Most of the wolves you'd seen throughout the day hadn't known how to interact with the others attending the school. While hugging strangers wasn't necessarily normal, it was better than the almost rude teasing you had witnessed during passing periods. Plus, her energetic personality was charming; cute even.