♡twenty one♡

"The heart has its reasons of which reason knows nothing."

Blaise Pascal

I head to Vienna to represent the Avengers at the signing of the Accords.

A UN staffer approaches me. "Excuse me, Ms Panagos?"

I smile at her. "Yes?"

She shows me a stack of paper. "These need your signature." I sign them for her. "Thank you."

I nod my head. "Thanks."

I can hear T'Challa speaking behind me. "I suppose neither of us is used to the spotlight."

I turn to face him. "Oh, well, it's not always so flattering."

"You seem to be doing alright so far. Considering your last trip to Capitol Hill... I wouldn't think you would be particularly comfortable in this company," T'Challa remarks.

I smile slightly. "Well, I'm not."

"That alone makes me glad you're here, Ms Panagos," T'Challa tells me.

"Why? You don't approve of all this?" I question.

"The Accords, yes. The politics, not really. Two people in a room can get more done than a hundred," T'Challa tells me.

His father King T'Chaka approaches us. "Unless you need to move a piano."

"Father," T'Challa greets.

"Son. Ms Panagos," King T'Chaka greets.

"King T'Chaka. Please, allow me to apologize for what happened in Nigeria," I offer.

"Thank you. Thank you for agreeing to all this. I'm sad to hear that Captain Rogers will not be joining us today," King T'Chaka tells me.

I nod my head slightly. "Yes, so am I."

A man's voice comes over the speakers. "If everyone could please be seated. This assembly is now in session."

"That is the future calling. Such a pleasure," T'Challa says.

I smile. "Thank you." I leave the father and son and head for my seat.

King T'Chaka stands at the podium. "When stolen Wakandan vibranium was used to make a terrible weapon, we in Wakanda were forced to question our legacy. Those men and women killed in Nigeria, were part of a goodwill mission from a country too long in the shadows. We will not, however, let misfortune drive us back. We will fight to improve the world we wish to join. I am grateful to the Avengers for supporting this initiative. Wakanda is proud to extend its hand in peace."

Suddenly T'Challa shouts, "Everybody get down!"

Then I feel an enormous explosion. As I come to, I see T'Challa kneeling over King T'Chaka. From the way they both look I can tell King T'Chaka is dead.

I know I can't do anything to help them so I help anyone else that I can get out of the building.

Outside I can see the fire crews, the police, and medical staff rushing around. I approach a dazed T'Challa sitting on one of the benches. I sit on the bench next to his, leaving some room.

"I'm very sorry," I offer.

T'Challa glances at me. He's holding an ornate silver ring which he toys with between his fingers. "In my culture death is not the end. It's more of a... stepping-off point. You reach out with both hands and Bast and Sekhmet, they lead you into the green veldt where... you can run forever."

I nod my head. "That sounds very peaceful."

"My father thought so." T'Challa puts the ring on his finger. "I am not my father."