♡seventeen♡

"We are most alive when we're in love."

John Updike

I walk into the lab looking for Tony. He has spent the past three days here working on the scepter before he has to give it back to Thor. He's standing in front of the scepter arms crossed over his chest.

"There you are." I give him a look. "Why aren't you ready?"

"I'm missing something." Tony sighs.

"An outfit for the party," I tell him. I wrap my arms around his waist. "You'll figure it out. You always do."

"What did we miss?" Tony questions.

"I'll continue to run variations on the interface, but you should probably prepare for your guests. I'll notify you if there are any developments," JARVIS states.

"Thanks, buddy," Tony tells him.

"Enjoy yourself, sir," JARVIS remarks.

Tony looks at me and smiles. "I always do."

I chuckle. "You better treat me right. This is a date night."

Tony smirks. "I like the sound of that."

Tony and I are standing in the living room. The party is in full swing, and people are all over the place. Tony has his arm around my waist as I lean into him.

"Well, you know, the suit can take the weight, right? So I take the tank, fly it right up to the General's palace, drop it at his feet, I'm like, 'Boom! You looking for this?'" We all stare at Rhodey blankly. "'Boom! Are you looking...' Why do I even talk to you guys? Everywhere else that story kills."

"That's the whole story?" Thor questions.

"Yeah, it's a War Machine story," Rhodey states.

"Well, it's very good then." Thor laughs. "It's impressive."

"Quality save," Rhodey says. He turns to look at me. "You liked the story right, Addi?"

I nod my head. "Yes, Rhodey. You are a very good War Machine."

Maria Hill walks over to us. "Where are the ladies, gentlemen?"

I turn to Thor. "Where is Jane?"

"I'm not even sure what country Jane's in. Her work on the convergence has made her the world's foremost astronomer," Thor tells me.

Tony tightens his grip on me. "Well as you recall AP here is an Avenger. Probably the smartest one."

"There's even talk of Jane getting a... um, uh... Nobel prize," Thor states.

"Yeah, Jane... Jane must be busy because she'd hate missing you guys get together." Maria mock coughs. "Testosterone! Oh, excuse me."

"Want a lozenge?" Rhodey asks.

Maria nods. "Um-hmm."

"Let's go," Rhodey and Maria start to walk off.

"Don't leave me with them," I shout after them. I grab Tony and drag him away from Thor. "I need a drink."

I walk behind the bar and start to pour myself and Tony a drink.

Tony smiles as he watches me. "How did a nice girl like you wind up working in a dump like this?"

"Fella done me wrong," I tease.

"You got a lousy taste in men, kid," Tony taunts.

"He's not so bad. Well, he is a bit self-obsessed," I tease. Tony pretends to be offended. "But he is a genius. Bit of a philanthropist."