Chapter 1

One month later

One month later.

Antonio tied his tie in front of the mirror. His expression, although calm, was upset by the dark shadows that stood out under his eyes. Those last weeks had been very hard, and no doubt the time without proper sleep was taking its toll. He sighed when his tie was properly made and pressed his lips together.

He could not remember a moment in his life that he could use to compare the disaster he now carried on his shoulders. And neither could he avoid feeling completely responsible for the way the situation ended. For if it were not for his insistence that his boss meet his youngest daughter, none of that horrible moment would have happened.

He closed his eyes, he was exhausted. After returning from Allan's apartment with Ivan, the reality of the situation hit him when the day began and it was clear to him, as it was to everyone, that he had lost his job. He abandoned everything, just as he had threatened Allan. And although he honestly did not fully regret his decision, the nostalgia that seized him was a very bitter drink that he had to let go.

He turned to go to the kitchen as he had to prepare breakfast for his family. Silvia had decided to stay in the house with Ivan and Tony. And that was excellent, after all nothing made him happier than having his family with him -or most of them.

Wearing his familiar pink hollan apron, he turned on the stove and set up a large frying pan for the omelet he would prepare. Getting breakfast ready for his family had become a new tradition, and by new we mean just a week and a half ago. He had managed to get a new job, thanks to the help of his son-in-law.

He poured in the eggs, and broke up chilies, mushrooms and some cheese. He made the omelet fly in the air before catching it with skill and waited for it to be ready, poured three glasses of orange juice and put four slices of bread on toast. He turned off the stove when the omelet was ready and took the frying pan. The yellow omelet slid down to the plate that was lying on the table. Antonio left the pan on the stove and sat down.

He ate his portion as usual, drank the juice slowly and let his worries go for a few seconds. Not everything had gone wrong. He knew that the fact that his daughter and husband were still there was because they were afraid to leave him alone. Given her alcohol problem, it was understandable that they feared a repeat of the episode. And that Antonio knew perfectly well, the sadness he felt was indescribable, but he would not fall back into something that would only make things worse. He had to be strong for his two daughters, for his grandson, and for his beloved Adele.

He smiled unwittingly at the thought of that wonderful woman. Who, like Silvia, had not left him for a minute. And since she too had been out of work by joining the chain of resignations, she spent most of the day with Antonio, and taking care of Tony when his parents went out on business. Adele was amazing and loved him madly, just as he loved her. And the happiness he felt couldn't be compared, if only the overall reality wasn't so bitter.