"I'm working hard on myself," Easton began. "I know that I have a great life now, but it's not always easy to let go of everything that came before. I still have moments when things are hard. I still have so much to work on. And it's clear that she's not okay either. I don't know what had happened to her, but I'm scared that I won't be able to help her work through her stuff, or that it will be overwhelming for her. Two broken people coming together doesn't exactly sound like a match made in heaven."

"Easton, the moon goddess-"

This felt too intimate all of the sudden. And I actually felt guilty for listening in to a conversation that was not meant for my ears. Any other day with any other people I would have considered it a survival tactic. Here, it just felt like an invasion. He was baring his soul and I was just taking advantage of him.

I let out a little mew of noise, rolled about on the couch, and slowly stretched. No one said anything as I shuffled around. I pretended to yawn as I sat up. I blinked twice, then jerked, as if I was surprised to see all of the people sitting around the kitchen table.

"Kaia," Easton breathed.

"Um, hi," I whispered. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to fall asleep."

"It's alright, you must have been tired." Easton shot me a small smile, cocking his head to one side. "I asked Elliot to bring Hazel over. Rose seemed to make you more comfortable so I thought that she might help. Would you like some tea? I have a pot on."

"No tea for me, thanks."

I slowly rose to my feet and was surprised to feel all of my muscles and joint groaning, like I had slept my longer than I normally had. I must have been knocked out for over twelve hours. 

"We can get coffee," Easton offered. His gaze was focused intently on me, like he wasn't sure if I was going to be docile and go back to sleep or if I was going to lunge for a knife to swing around instead. 

To be fair, if I had been looking for the outside in, I wouldn't be able to predict my reaction either. He was being so kind and had been so straight forward. He had never given me a reason to not trust him. But I hated his whole species and the pain that had been inflicted upon me and my sisters would not vanish in an instant just because of some nice words and the constant tea offerings.

So even I was a little surprised when I moseyed over to the kitchen and pulled out a chair. I sank down onto the wooden surface and my eyes met Easton's.

"Hey," he breathed, sounding a little stunned.

"Hi."

His hands that had been pressed flat against the table twitched towards me. He seemed to think better of touching me and wrapped his hands around his steaming mug. It seemed that holding onto his orca shaped mug was a safer option.

"Kaia, this is my beta, my second in command, Elliot. I know you've met him before but maybe a second introduction would help clear the air," Easton murmured.

"I'm also his financial adviser. First thing you should know about Easton is that numbers and money don't make a lot of sense to him. I keep this pack in the black," he stated proudly. 

"And I'm Hazel," his mate piped up. And she was cute as a button with an upturned nose and gigantic smile. I pegged her as immediately likable, though the difference in species still hung in the air. 

"Nice to actually meet both of you. And sorry about before. Adjusting hasn't been easy." It felt like the understatement of the century, but I hoped it was enough to break the ice.

Elliot just scoffed and smiled, his lighthearted attitude matching his mate so well. "No worries. I'm just glad Easton finally convinced you to give him a chance. He's a great alpha, but he was frantic over you." 

"Though you're probably used to that," Hazel said, running her eyes over me. "I mean you just woke up but you look like you're ready for a photoshoot."

"Uh thanks," I mumbled, dropping my attention to my hands that I had clasped together on the sturdy table.

Elliot's eyes flicked from his mate down to the watch that encircled one of his wrists. "It was lovely to meet you, Kaia. Without a gun this time. But we have to run, I have a meeting with a couple store owners who have some concerns."

Hazel offered me another bright smile and rose with her mate. My first thought was that she and Elliot matched each other too well. Was that how mates were supposed to be? Were Easton and I the opposite of normal? Anxiety churned my gut. The second thought was that my safety net was leaving. I would be alone with Easton again.

"I should get going too," I blurted, rising. 

Elliot sensed the impending awkwardness and bowed out quickly, saying they would be in touch. Hazel followed behind him,seeming a little oblivious to it all.  And it was just me and Easton again.

I braced myself for an onslaught of begging and pleading, but he just followed me to the front door and leaned one shoulder against the wall. His arms were crossed over his chest. 

"Are you going to run again?" he wondered.

"Maybe, I think differently when I'm away from you. When I'm with you my fears don't make sense," I confessed.

"We'll keep running into each other. I think you know that now."

"I do."

"Well, I can't make any choices for you, but now you know where I live. If you ever want anything to do with me I'm here. I'm not going to chase you anymore."

I just nodded, wondering why his words stung my heart so badly when they were exactly what I wanted to hear.