Nightmares

Idek what this oneshot is. Gore warning, because I have nightmares this freaky every night and I'm not sure how else to write a bad dream lol

Yeah I just threw this together because I got the idea last night so uhhh,, whoop

It's like a salad I accidentally put rat poison in thinking it was jelly, you know?

Kakyoin's POV

I woke up with a sharp intake of breath, the fear from the nightmare still buzzing through my body, intrusive but all too familiar.

"Kakyoin? Are you okay?" The light was on, and he'd been shaking me to wake me up. I scrambled away from him as soon as I could.

"You're you? You're not going to hurt me?" I asked quickly, knocking something off the table in my haste to put some distance between us without bothering to see what it was.

"Of course not, Kakyoin. I'd never hurt you. Come back to bed," he answered softly, beckoning for me to join him again. I felt numb as I sat back down beside him, and he sat up to meet me halfway, pulling me into his embrace. I wrapped my arms around him, pulling him closer because he was real and he was warm and he was Jotaro, he wasn't going to hurt me, he'd never hurt me. He shushed me softly like he could read my frenzied thoughts, fingertips stroking my hair in some attempt to get me to relax. "I love you," he hummed.

I was calm. My breathing had returned to normal, my tense form had loosened up, and at those three words, I was thrown back into a state of panic. This was a dream, still. He would never hold me like that, never talk to me like that. This was no doubt about to turn into a nightmare, again, another, he was going to hurt me, I had to wake up. I had to wake up, fuck, fuck, fuck...

I woke up again. It was strange how I instantly knew this was really real (for real this time), because I wondered for the first time—was I still dreaming? And no, I couldn't possibly be dreaming still, because I could feel my heartbeat drumming against my chest again and—Hierophant. I brought him out without problem. It wasn't always like that—when I was having nightmares, I'd often find myself powerless. I guess when one of your biggest fears is being completely alone after growing up with just your Stand, bad dreams about losing it made perfect sense.

I turned the light on anyway, with no regard for the sleeping Jotaro next to me. I backed away from the bed again. I was still irrationally worried, and it must've been written all over my face, because he started to throw my pillow at me before lowering it and raising his head to see what was wrong. His expression was enough of a question, but I only shook my head and sat on the floor, back against the side of the bed so I was facing the wall. I tucked my knees up against my chest, hugging them tightly. I was pathetic, and this was so damn unfair.

"Shit, dude, what's wrong with you?" he grumbled. Definitely not a dream. I didn't cry, because I wouldn't cry, because crying made me weak and I was tired of being fucking weak. But I didn't bother with restraining my emotions, because there was nothing weak about snapping at people. (Apparently.)

"I knew it was a nightmare because you hurt me, and you wouldn't hurt me. And then I woke up into another dream, and I knew it was a nightmare because you cared about me." I had my face buried, so it came out muffled—I didn't know if I hoped that'd act as a buffer for the bitterness I felt or if I hoped the tone would make it through despite it. It wasn't like he did anything wrong, anyway. It was just a dream.

"...If it were a nightmare, why would I care about you?"

"The second dream wasn't a nightmare yet, but the first was about another enemy Stand attack. I-I thought it'd be like Death 13 again, it'd turn scary if I didn't wake myself up. You...tried to make me feel better, and..."