A New Beginning

It was after another physical therapy session with Marco that Luffy tried the hardening around his legs to walk like very strict braces all around his legs. The front and back of his knees were bare when the sides were connected to the black on his lower and upper legs.

For the first time, Luffy walked with his legs bent, without holding the bars. Marco grinned and congratulated him. The boy smiled, but frowned once his legs were starting to fail him. Marco was about to help when Luffy shot out stick from his stomach and hardened it to keep him from falling forward.

Marco did nothing to help, watching Luffy closely and standing close enough to catch him if necessary. Luffy pushed himself upright again, wobbling a bit, but making the soles of his feet sticky to stay in place. He had never had to use such control on his powers, and it was new, but it made him proud to be able to do this even when injured like he was.

Marco made him stop once he was going to try to walk with no assistance. "That's enough for today. No overdoing it, but you've made incredible progress. You haven't been practicing walking on your own, have you?" Marco asked in a stern voice. Luffy shook his head, smiling, even as he was carried to the wheelchair waiting by the door.

"I was practicing hardening my legs like that in bed," he explained. "I wasn't doing anything that would hurt myself."

"Good idea. Do you think it's time to tell Ace and Sabo about our training? Now that you've gotten better at it, you might not feel so embarrassed? It might give them hope, you know, to see you improving not only for your body but also your devil fruit? After all, if you can harden your entire body, you don't need to slash or consume anyone. You can just kick them or punch them and they'll be down. Much less messy."

Luffy looked hopeful at that. "Really?" Marco nodded with a smile.

"I'll teach you how to kick well. When I'm not in full phoenix form, I use kicking since my arms are unusable," the man offered, glad to see a smile on his face. "So, how about letting them in next time?" he asked, getting back on topic.

The boy was quiet for a moment, before slowly nodding. "Okay. Next time they can come in. I'll tell them so." Marco smiled, and said that was good. "They've been better to me, not doing everything for me and just helping me when I need it. Makes me... happier."

Marco grinned. "That's great, I'm happy for you. They're good brothers. Should I tell everyone else to not coddle or baby you? Do you want me to do that?" the man offered. He hoped Luffy would say yes and make everything even better. The boy didn't wait to nod. "I'll get on that as soon as possible. When do you want to start eating meals with us again? It's been a few weeks."

Luffy tilted his neck and just barely raised his shoulder as a shrug. "I don't like how they look at me," he confessed. Marco frowned, having noticed the way he was being looked at as well. It was sympathy, but could easily be seen as pity instead. And Luffy didn't like worrying over him, but it was clear everyone was concerned, whether he wanted them to be or not. That wasn't going to change, even as Luffy shut everyone out.

The commanders were feeling bad about it. Luffy had been accepting their attention at first, but the longer this lasted, the worse he got. Hopefully, with this new training that was improving him, he'd do better.

-x-

Whitebeard stood solemnly in the nurses room as Whiskey gave him the results of the new tests on Luffy's limbs. Since his ability doesn't work well after taking a bath, they could only get a good image of him when his powers weren't working. Whiskey had made sure to keep her findings to herself and the other nurses before telling the captain. She may have patient-doctor confidentiality, but she couldn't hide something like this.