Chapter 3

Erin's POV
I looked at the number, debating on whether to answer it or not. I let it ring for a while until it stopped before the number called again. "I'll be back. Soph, stay with Chloe," I said distractedly, looking at my phone as I kissed Sophia's head.

I walked to my room, closed the door, and picked up the phone.

"Hello? Who is this?" I asked, confused.

"Hey Erin," a familiar voice echoed through the phone.

"Trudy?" I said carefully.

"Yes it's me. How are you?" she questioned.

"I'm doing good. How... How did you even get my number? Is everything okay?" I inquired, still confused with what's going on.

"Erin... I wish I was calling on better circumstances," she started, her voice sounding serious suddenly.

"Trudy, what's going on?" I replied, getting increasingly worried as the seconds go by.

"I'm sorry Erin. Hank got shot in the line of duty when Intelligence was raiding a warehouse," she told me, her voice shaking slightly.

"What? Is he going to be okay?" I asked worriedly and in disbelief, pacing around the room.

"They don't know yet," she informed me softly.

"I... I um... Okay, I'll be in Chicago as soon as possible. Thanks Trudy, please update me if you hear anything else," I responded.

"I will," she answered before promptly hanging up the call.

I sat down on the bed, looking out my balcony door, peering into the New York skyline as I tried to process what she just told me. I took a shaky deep breath, quickly collecting myself emotionally before going back to the living room. "Um Chloe, are you free for the next few days?

"I mean I don't have any other job except this one, so yeah. Why?" she looked at me as Sophia played with a toy on her lap.

"I just got a phone call. Something happened in Chicago and I need to fly there as soon as possible. I was thinking to bring you with us since I would need somebody to take care of Sophia while we are there," I explained.

"Yes of course. I can do that. What happened?" she asked

"I'll explain on the flight. Why don't you go home and pack? I really don't know how long we're going to be staying there, it could be a few days or even a few weeks," taking Sophia from her lap and carrying her.

"Mama..." Sophia interrupted, showing me her toy.

Chloe nodded, standing up and collecting her belongings as I took the toy from Sophia distractedly. "I'll try to find a flight for us tonight. I'll text you the details as soon as possible, and we'll meet you at the airport?" I looked at her.

"Yeah sounds good. Bye," she waved before leaving.

"Come on baby, we're going to ride a plane," I put her down, holding her hand as we walked to her nursery.

"Where we go?" Sophia looked up at me questioningly.

"We're going to Chicago to visit grandpa," I told her as I began packing her clothes.

"Grandpa Hank?" her eyes lit up immediately.

"Yes baby," I gave her a small smile.

Sophia jumped around excitedly, which made my heart ache even more. This lil' girl loved Hank. Hank loves her. And I love Hank, he's pretty much my father. The thought of possibly losing him is something I can never imagine and don't want to think about.

As a mother, all I want to do is to protect my baby girl from the wrath of the cruel world, from any pain, from any sadness. But if Hank doesn't make it, how am I supposed to protect her lil', innocent heart?
-
Is Hank gonna make it? 👀
Idk how I feel about this chapter cuz there's so many repetition of words 😩

Instagram:
Edit: @linstead_love
Fanfic: @linsteadlove.ff