Chapter 8

Jay's POV
The morning after Voight's shooting, the unit had tried to continue working on the case. However, focusing on anything but what happened had proven to be more of a challenge than any of us had expected. The atmosphere in the bullpen was somber and tense. When the one person that seems to be immortal and indestructible gets shot, the person that said that we were all going home that day is currently laying in a hospital bed fighting for his life, how do they expect us to come to work and pretend like everything is okay? Everything isn't okay.

I'm not even sure why I'm this affected. Sure, Hank Voight was my boss and all but we've never had a good relationship. Our relationship had always been complicated since day one. We buttheads quite a bit, me not agreeing with his methods a lot of the time. Despite my deep-seated respect for the man, our relationship didn't extend beyond the bullpen.

As I stared blankly at the traffic cam footage on my computer screen, the stern voice of Commander Crowley rang through the bullpen. I looked up to be met with the sight of Crowley standing atop the stairs with Platt by her side.

"Good morning Intelligence. After yesterday's incident with Sergeant Voight, I want all of you to draft up a report on exactly what happened inside that warehouse with every single detail you can remember, and get it to me by this afternoon. Detective Halstead, you will be leading this unit as Sergeant Hank is out of commission," Commander Crowley ordered, looking at all of us before landing her eyes on me.

Upon my nod, she continued, "Now, I understand if some of you are still shaken up by what happened and would want to take some time off. All of you would have to undergo mandatory psych evaluation before returning to active duty. In the meantime, all of you are on desk duty until the police psychologist clears you," Crowley instructed, all of us groaning in response.

"Is that really necessary? I think I speak for all of us when we say that we would so much rather be outside solving this case," Adam refuted

"It is not open for discussion, Officer. The psychologist will be expecting all of you in her office tomorrow. For now, desk duty, work the case from inside without going out, or take some time off and go home," Crowley replied firmly, leaving no room for arguments. She stared us down for a few more seconds, ensuring that we understood before turning around and walking down the stairs.

"Sarge, how's Voight?" Kim questioned, looking at Trudy.

"The last update I got two hours ago was that he's out of surgery and is currently in a medically induced coma. They were able to repair the damage but the bullet is still inside him. They're currently deciding whether to operate on him again to take the bullet out," Trudy updated us.

"He's going to make it right? He has to," Adam spoke up, looking around the room, slight skepticism in his voice.

"They can't give us a definitive answer at this point. Only time will tell," Trudy answered solemnly.

"Well they have to do the surgery right? They can't just leave the bullet in, can they?" Hailey asked, looking around the room as her eyes met mine.

"It's not our decision to make."

"Well then whose decision is it?" I asked, breaking eye contact with Hailey and looking back at Trudy.

It was at this moment that silence spoke louder than any words could have as she looked into my eyes.

"Wait... She's back? In Chicago?" I said in disbelief.

Trudy nodded. "She is his next of kin," Trudy stated, as if it was obvious.

Hearing that knocked the wind out of me as I quickly sat back down before my legs would give up on me. As the phrase "she's back" constantly repeated in my mind over and over again like a broken recorder, flashbacks of the past few years flashed right in front of my eyes. All the progress in an attempt to move forward, in vain and vanishing in an instant. All the feelings and emotions I've worked so hard to push down, bubbling up at this very moment.
-
If you have any storyline requests, please comment or DM them to me. I'll try my best to include them. And let me know what you guys think so far. I really appreciate all the love and support you guys have been giving me <3
-
Instagram: @linsteadlove.ff