chapter 35

Cedric's London Home

*******************************************

That evening I left my dorm to find Cedric in the courtyard. I only had a small backpack with me but I'd placed an undetectable extension charm on it so all the stuff I'd need was in there. I did the buttons of my coat up quickly before stepping outside.

He was waiting for me with his own bag slung over his shoulder. On the ground next to him was a book which I assumed to be the portkey.

He smiled as I reached him, "are you ready?"

I nodded and we crouched down next to the object. He placed his hand upon it and I took one last look toward the castle before doing the same.

Our surroundings disintegrated in the blink of an eye and we were suddenly spinning weightlessly through a bright light.

Half of the time I couldn't tell which way up we were facing and I wasn't surprised that the sensation made so many wizards and witches nauseous. Luckily I had used the device often with my father during summertimes and I was used to the strange experience.

Eventually, my feet came to land on cold stone ground and I knew we'd made it. I shook the dizzy confusion from my head and looked at Cedric next to me. He picked the book from the ground and placed it into his bag carefully.

I began to take in our surroundings. We were stood on the curve of a long cobbled street. I looked to my left and right to see the houses stretching along the roads for as far as the eye could see.

I realised from the design of the buildings and name of the street that we weren't far from where I lived, my house was probably about 5 streets away.

I looked up at the townhouse in front of us. It was about the same size as mine with four floors and a large black iron gate around the perimeter. There was plenty of luscious green foliage in the front garden that contrasted nicely against the warm brown brick of the home.

Cedric wasted no time heading towards it, opening the gate as he led us towards the black door.

As we got closer, I suddenly realised that I was nervous to meet his parents. I didn't have a chance to think about it before, I was too busy worrying about the plan for the protest. I said a silent prayer that they would like me as we reached the door.

Cedric slipped a key into the lock, turning it a fraction, and it opened with a click. We entered the hallway and he took my bag from me, placing it down on the front table.

There was an immediate warmth to the house and I knew that wasn't just from the large radiators, it reminded me exactly of how the Hufflepuff dorm room felt. Inviting and homely.

I quickly removed my shoes so that I wouldn't ruin the red carpet leading into the house. The stairway was ahead of us with a long wooden banister that curled at the end. On the other side of that, the hallway continued and I could hear muffled voices coming from the direction of a distant room.