chapter 23

The next evening the clock struck 9:30pm, and it was finally time to get ready for the Halloween party.

We'd finished dinner an hour ago and I'd eaten enough toffee apples and pumpkin soup to satisfy me for a whole year.

As we blasted music around the dorm and began to get ready, I pulled my outfit from the trunk at the end of my bed.

I'd struggled with a few choices for my costume but eventually I'd decided to conjure up a Lara Croft outfit from Tomb Raider. It was a muggle thing and I was certain no one would know who I was, but I liked it and that was all that really mattered.

I got Evelyn to help me with my eye makeup. We used black face paint to created a jagged diagonal shape going across my eyes, helping them stand out against my face. As a final touch, I pulled my hair into a neat french plait and that was it, I was ready for the party.

Evelyn had chosen to go as a martial arts character from a childhood cartoon and she looked even more badass than usual.

Maisie and Dakota were dressed as a dead version of Dumbledore and Snape and I laughed at the thought of our potions professor capturing them mid-party. He would've hexed them to the ends of the earth for their choices.

Most likely we would be left alone, but the teachers might still choose to shut it down if it got out of control.

As we departed from our room, we met Luna downstairs and she was dressed as her favourite space constellation. She looked really pretty and I complimented her on her choice as we walked downstairs.

In the entry hall we found Carlisle, Dean and the rest of his dorm. Carlisle was dressed as a gladiator and Dean had chosen to be a cowboy. I smiled at him and he smiled back, it seemed that Carlisle had reassured him I knew the truth and would keep it a secret. I was relieved the air had been cleared, I didn't want Dean to think I would out him either.

We chatted animatedly as we made our way down to the dungeons, admiring the outfits of all the other students walking with us. There were too many to count but they ranged from cute to scary to weird. People seemed to have outdone themselves this year.

We began walking through the long corridor of the dungeon as we took in our surroundings, it was covered in cobwebs and fake spiders as a spooky homage. Skeletons stood on either side, the Slytherins had dressed them in their best pureblood finery and we laughed at the sight, picking out our favourites. Skeletons in top hats, tuxes and ballgowns was quite the image.

Finally, we reached the area where the door was and I forced the Gryffindor boys to step back before I whispered the password. The brick slid inwards and the wall slid to the left, revealing the common room in all its Halloween glory.

It had been completely transformed. Hundreds of pumpkins floated in the air above our heads and countless shreds of white ribbon and cobwebs hung from the ceiling. The walls had a charm placed on them to make it appear like ghosts and zombies were running around the walls.

The real Slytherin ghost, The Bloody Baron, was wandering around the room looking very content with the themed foolery of his house.

The biggest space in the middle of the room had been transformed into a dance floor and the rest of the room had sofas and chairs dotted around. Trays of drinks floated along for guests to take.

And, of course, everything possible was coloured in Slytherin's signature emerald green.

It was amazing.

We walked slowly around the edge of the room, attempting to avoid the drunk dancing bodies in the middle. Eventually I spotted Draco and tapped him on the shoulder.