chapter 27

The next day I spent the morning in the library working on some of the painting for our exploration project. I wanted it to look really good so I took extra time on it, making sure to shade areas of the scene with darker paint to show the depth of the space.

It was hard to capture the grand essence of what we'd seen, I didn't feel as if my work necessarily reflected what it was like to stand there. I momentarily debated giving up and opting for photos instead, but I knew Cedric in particular might be disappointed and it spurred me on.

By the time it was lunch, I hadn't even finished the first exploration and my hand ached terribly. I decided to call it a day and began to pack up my stuff as the other students departed for lunch. I would be skipping it today.

Hagrid had asked me earlier in the week to come see him at his hut, in order to write the first set of letters he needed. I hadn't had a chance to ask him the details of his needs but I supposed that I would find out soon enough.

I left the library and made my way out of the castle, trekking through the grounds until I was at the top of the hill overlooking the forbidden forest. I could see his hut in the distance and soft billows of smoke were rising from the chimney, the usual indication that he was holed up inside, working away on something or other.

I walked down the grass slowly, careful not to slip on the muddy earth. Buckbeak was laying down near the pumpkin patch and I bowed to the elegant creature respectfully before moving along.

Finally, I reached the big wooden door and knocked hard twice.

The door swung open to reveal Hagrid's towering form and he smiled at me, ushering me inside away from the cold.

I admired the room as I made my way in. The decoration was modest, which I had always thought suited him well.

It was mostly adorned with wooden sculptures hanging from the ceiling and big chairs with knitted blankets thrown over them. The fireplace roared in the corner as usual, providing a homely comfort.

I spotted unusual new plants and creatures on the shelves near the window, which I suspected he'd gotten from his travels in Wales. He had a great fascination and appreciation for magical creatures and liked to collect exotic species.

And finally, to finish off the cosy cottage image, was his dog Fang, laying in his bed without a care in the world. He looked up at me sleepily as I went to stroke him on the head. He was Hagrid's most loyal companion and I knew he kept him safe in the forest.

"So Hagrid, how are things?" I walked to the table in the centre and began removing my coat as I placed my bag down on the table.

"Ay good my dear. How are things with you? How are classes treating ya?" His deep voice bellowed through the space as he poked the fire logs with a steel rod.

"They're okay, just a lot harder than last year. They're fun though. I'm taking apparition." I smiled at him as I sat down.

"Ah you be careful though young Lila, that apparition is a dangerous business. Wouldn't want you getting splinched now would we." He placed his usual plate of cookies and a glass of milk in front of me, along with the same letter paper we used every time.

I remembered way back in second year that was what I had asked for; it made me smile that he still provided me with the exact same hospitality after all this time.

"Don't worry, I'll be careful" I reassured him, pulling out my quill and ink as I took a sheet of paper. "So how many letters are we writing today?"

"I'd say about six. I need to send a few to my relatives and some to people at the Ministry, I figure they'll want to hear about the new breeds of Welsh grilams I've discovered." He gestured to a small cabinet in the corner where I could see the reptilian creatures.

I nodded and began to write what he dictated to me, occasionally stopping for a sip of milk or a cookie. I made sure to write as neatly as possible, despite my hand still aching from earlier.

Over the next few hours we wrote four letters to members of his family, and two to people working in the Ministry's Department for the Regulation and Control of Magical Creatures. By the time we'd finished the sun was beginning to set and the fire had whittled down to burning embers.

I put the pen down in relief and flexed my hand. I pulled out my wand and uttered a soothing charm to calm the throbbing there.

"Thank you for doing this Lila, these look great." He smiled at me appreciatively as he folded the letters into their envelopes. That was the thing about Hagrid, he was always grateful, even for the smallest of gestured.

"No problem, anytime." I sat back in my seat, finishing the last of the milk in my glass.

"Are you going to the bonfire this evening?" He asked as he tucked the last letter into its envelope.

I realise that in amongst my busy schedule, I'd almost forgotten what day it was.

We celebrated firework's night a few days later than muggles, mainly so that the younger years weren't caught up studying for their mock exams. It was usually a really fun evening down at the lake.

Dumbledore always conjured a huge bonfire and Hagrid was in charge of the fireworks and sparklers. There were food trucks too, and some group games for those who wanted to join in.

I nodded eagerly, relieved at the prospect of having an evening away from the confines of the dorm for a little while.

"Ah good, I think you'll enjoy this one tonight. I'll make sure to set off plenty of your favourites."

"I look forward to it" I returned his smile and began to pack up my things.

I slipped my coat back on as we said our goodbyes, giving one last head pat to Fang as I left the hut and returned to the castle.