"Are you?"

She shrugged, "I will be."

I looked over and saw Gage and Levi conversing, laughing slightly. I smiled at their interaction.

"Do you think we'll be okay?" She asked. I stayed quiet.

I don't know.

* * *

Once we found somewhere secure to stay for the night, it was almost midnight.

I lay on the tin roof of a shed, arm under my head as the other lay by my side.

My mind was racing, busy with a million things.

The scars that paint Elles skin and the nightmares that keep them all awake... is just another reminder that we need to keep them safe.

They raised me and Gage, protected us when we needed them, it's our turn to do the same.

I sighed, closing my eyes as the starts disappeared. All I saw was darkness and it was nice, not feeling anything.

I heard a small scratching noise coming from beside me and opened one eye, seeing a figure approach me.

"Elle told me to-" She almost slipped off the roof, "Come up here and see if you're okay."

Dakota finally pulled herself up and lay on her back, next to me.

"Tell Elle that I'm fine."

She scoffed, "I just climbed this shed, I'm not going back down unless you come with me."

I smirked, "Whatever."

She leaned her head on my shoulder and I felt a tinge of something go through me. It felt like a volt of electricity?

What was that?

Her warmth spread through me, making me feel hot. Her touch is all I need.

We looked at the stars, she pointed some out to me, "So you're an astrology nerd huh?" She slapped me, "I'm surprised you know what astrology is."

"I read." I lied. Elle and Alex shoved this school shut down my throat. Their argument was 'if we had to learn it, so do you'.

Which is, pretty bullshit if you ask me.

"There's orion's belt." I looked to where her finger was pointed and saw a line of connected stars.

It was fascinating.

Even though I know what she's doing. She worries too much. She's distracting me from my thoughts.

And it's working, because all I can think about is her.

"Stop whatever it is you're doing." I heard Levi's voice. Rolling my eyes, I sat up.

"Alex sent me up here to make sure he didn't have a niece or nephew in a few months."

I scoffed, "Shove off man, were just talking."

"I'm showing him the stars."

"You always were a nerd for those things."

She shrugged.

I could still see the house from a distance. It was mainly gone now. All I could see was the yellow flame that would pop or shatter something every so often.

"I'm heading to bed, I suggest you two do the same. We have inventory tomorrow."

I groaned, "I hate inventory."

"Why do we have to do it? We're kids?"

"Because-" Where is that new voice coming from, "You're all old enough to know that inventory is important. And if you want to live and eat, you'll help."

Elle.

"Dakota, I need your help."

Dakota said goodnight and goodbye to us before slipping down the shed, leaving me and Levi.

"I know you like my sister so I'm going to give you some advice, she really likes stars. She's allergic to peanuts and is a sucker for a true crime book. And- if you hurt her in any way possible so help me God I will hurt you back."

I smirked at his attempt to threaten me, "Nice try. But I won't hurt her."

He nodded, "And you don't scare me."

"Hey, just because I'm Gay doesn't mean I can't throw a mean punch."

"I never said that! All I said was-"

"I don't care. Goodnight Riley."

I laughed, "Night Levi."

* * *