a field of sunflowers

(steve pov)

it's been a week since Y/N passed. boy did i miss her. i went home for the first time yesterday. the house felt empty, but i needed to go home. it was somehow therapeutic.

...

i went to sleep thinking about her, like i did every night.

that's when i had an unreal dream.

*in steve's dream*

i was in this beautiful field of flowers. sunflowers. the energy was so pure, it was like staring into the sun. then i looked over and saw Y/N. she looked so happy.

she was wearing a beautiful white dress, with her hair falling down her back in curls.

"stevie!" she said running over and hugging me.

"baby oh i miss you so much." i said.

"i miss you too baby. it's great here, and i'm always watching over you and protecting you."

"really?"

"yeah. steve, you need to let go. my time is up, but you still have so much. don't let me hold you back. i've moved on, and you need to as well."

"i know. it's just hard."

"it's going to be hard, but just remember, i'm right up here. just look up at the stars, and that's where i'll be."

"of course. i'll tell them all about you."

"say hello to the gang for me."

"i will."

"oh, and tell ponyboy that the book he is writing is amazing, and it will be successful."

"ok- wait, you can see into the future?"

"i have my ways." she smiled.

"ok baby. i have to go now. but i love you."

"i love you too."

i kissed her one last time before she disappeared into the beautiful field of flowers.

*end of dream*

i woke up in a shock. did this really just happen? though i didn't feel scared. i felt at peace and protected. Y/N was right, i did still have a lot of time. i needed to move on- and let go. she was happy.

...

the next day i went to the curtis house and told them about my dream. they all agreed that it was real- and it was a sign from Y/N that she was okay. and a sign that i was going to be ok as well.

"steve, she's watching over you and is protecting you." soda said.

"yeah." darry added.

"oh, and pony," he looked at me weird, i could see why. i never wanted to talk to him. "Y/N told me that the uh- book that your writing is amazing and it's going to be a success."

"really?" he said. "i mean-"

"pony your writing a book? that's amazing!" johnny said.

"yeah." he admitted turning red.

...

later that day i got a call from the hospital, telling me to go pick up Y/N's stuff she had there.

when i started packing up the desk, i noticed a little box with flowers on it. i picked it up and opened it. i was shocked to see what was inside. it was drawings. they were so good- Y/N did them.

there were some of the gang, but mostly of me and her. there was even one of dally after a fight with tim shepard's gang. it was quite funny that she captured his whole mood in that sketch. i sat there for a couple of minutes looking at all of the drawings and sketches before putting them back into the box and going home.

it was about 1:00 in the morning, and i just couldn't sleep. i got into my truck and drove to the place where i took Y/N on our last date.

i laid where we once stargazed and had such an amazing time. i lye there, not realizing the tears rolling down my face.

"you know, Y/N was beautiful. she was inside and out." i said, talking to the stars. i knew Y/N could hear me.

i fell asleep and had another dream about Y/N. only this time, it was better.

"see, i told you i would tell the stars about you."

The End.