a nice surprise

(sodapop pov)

i got a call from steve saying that he was coming home. i can't believe the commander let him come home, i was so excited to see him.

"hey darry, steve's coming home." i said, walking into the kitchen.
"that's good."
"yeah, i can't wait to see him!"
"soda, you just have to remember, this isn't about you. yeah sure steve's gonna be happy to see you,  but you can't be all happy go lucky. i mean his girlfriend has cancer."
"yeah i know darry."

darry and i sat in a awkward silence for a moment. he was right. steve wasn't coming to see me, or any of the gang. he was coming to see Y/N.

darry said he would drive us to the airport later when steve got there. but that would be until tomorrow since the flight would take like 29 hours.

i walked into our room to find ponyboy sitting at the desk, it looked like he was writing something.

"hey pony, whatcha doin' there?"
"writing sumthin. it's a book about the gang."
"that's cool."
"yeah i'm writing it about the time johnny and i ran away to windricksville."

i felt bad for pony. he was so talented in that area, but we just didn't have the money to send him to college. darry and i were hoping that he could get a scholarship. but even if it was a half ride we still wouldn't be able to afford it.

i talked with pony for a bit before eventually going to bed. pony always read before bed. i wish i could read like him. he always has a book in his hand. pony has tried to get me to read, but i just can't sit still long enough to read.

...

i woke up the next morning, excited to go pick up steve. two-bit went to the hospital to stay with Y/N until we got there.

i took a shower and put on a white t-shirt with a red flannel. i combed my long, silky hair back with some grease.

"hey darry ready to go?" i said walking into the living room.
"yeah, let's go."

i don't know why, but i was nervous. has steve changed since being in gruesome war training in vietnam?

...

darry and i got out of the truck and walked into the airport.

"you excited?" he asked.
"yeah."

we stood there together, waiting for flight 177 from vietnam to land. about 20 minutes later, we saw him. he was wearing a camouflage military uniform. his shirt pocket read "RANDLE" he looked, cool.

"steve!" i said running towards him. he pulled me into a hug.
"hey buddy i missed you." he said.

we looked at each other. steve was crying which made me start to cry. darry was watching us from afar.

...

we walked back to the truck, steve loading his luggage into the bed.

"oh how i missed this ole' truck." he said smiling.
we all got into ten truck buckling our seatbelts.
"so- how is she?" steve asked, his expression saddening a little.
"i think she's ok right now." i said.
"can we go see her?"
"yeah, let's go surprise her."

(steve pov)

i was so glad to be back home in tulsa. oh how i missed it. i was so happy to see Y/N, yet so sad that i was having to see her hurt. that's what i hated most, seeing the people i loved in pain.

we soon arrived at the hospital. i thought i looked kinda silly in my uniform, but soda said it looked cool. and plus, it was a way of showing respect for our country.

...

"hi, we are here to see Y/N  Y/L/N?" darry said.
"of course, room 28."

we walked over to the room and soda opened the door.

"Y/N!"