yesterday

(steve pov)

Y/N hasn't woken up yet. what if she didn't? no, no she was.

"Y/N," i said grabbing her hand. "everything is going to be ok, i'm right here."

...

i zoned out for a moment, just thinking about life before i left for war. Y/N and i on dates at the dingo, going to the drive in, just everything. it all started to flood back. it felt like just yesterday she would come to me and soda's drag races and cheer us on.

it felt like just yesterday when i asked her to be my girlfriend. that was the best day of my life, i felt on top of the whole world.

i snapped back into reality when the doctor asked me to talk outside.

"yes doctor?"
"mr. randle, Y/N's condition is worsening."
"i know." i said, standing there stunned. acting like i didn't already know.
"how long does she have left?"
"we are looking at maybe three days." there was no sugar coating that.
"ok, thank you doctor."

i walked back into the room. i needed to call the gang, to let them know what was happening. i called the curtis house.

"sodapop curtis speaking?"
"hey soda, it's steve."
"hey stevie, what's going on?"
"Y/N's not doing well."
"what?" sodapop said, sounding stunned. "i-" he began to cry. we sat on the phone for a bit and just cried.
"w-we'll be there soon."
"y-yeah that'd be great."
"alright buddy, see ya in a bit." he sniffled.
"bye."

it was official. i really was gonna lose Y/N. it was like her fate was staring at me, right in the face. i feel like it's my fault- like i could've done something. maybe if i hadn't left for war this wouldn't have happened, and she would've been fine.

i sat there, just thinking about plain life, and how selfish i was for taking it for granted. how could i let this happen?

...

about an hour later the gang came by. i was a mess. i sat there in the corner, with my hands in my head, just crying, remembering the date we had just had. when we were stargazing. with the one i asked to be my wife.

"i'll tell the stars about you." yes, yes i will.
"hey steve." darry said patting me on my shoulder.
"hey darry." i managed to get out.
"hey, steve, it's going to be ok." soda said bringing me into a hug. i cried into his shoulder.

we looked over to see johnny and ponyboy talking to Y/N, she was awake. the ring on her left hand shone bright in the moonlight from the window.

(Y/N pov)

i woke up to see all of the gang in the room. i felt awful. literally. i talked to johnny and pony before seeing steve, he was crying into soda's shoulder.

"hey baby." i said.
"hey, Y/N, your awake." he said walking over to me and grabbing my hand.
"how are you feeling?"
"eh. i've definitely been better." i giggled. even when i was actually at my worst, i had to be strong for the gang, because i knew they were trying to be strong for me.

that's when i felt a wave of peace and comfort come over me. i felt like whatever happened, i would be alright.