He averted his eyes and stared at his sickeningly polished shoes. How could he be in the comfort of the White House while his friends were out there fighting a fight he was involved in as much as they were. His father reassured him and Connor gave him the location of his sister's body to be picked up for a funeral later that week. Reporters and the press would surely be waiting to speak to him about his dangerous kidnapping and how he escaped, but he did not know what to tell them and he definitely did not want to think about it.

His father whisked him to a balcony overlooking the front and not surprisingly, he was correct. Spectators mixed with reporters meaning an upcoming few days of nonstop talking and suffering. He had always hated being on the news the most out of anything else he was obligated to do. With a sigh, he and his father made their way down the stairs to meet the good people of the United States. Even though it was said to be a free country, that was only for certain people, he was not one of them.

Putting on his best press smile and allowing his father to grab his shoulders they stepped onto the top of the staircase. Questions rapidly shot their way and he fought to keep up, but one question was continuously asked; what happened to Connor Travis those few short weeks ago and how did he escape whatever his situation might have been? Using his training for talking to the press, he started the story that his mind guided him through, starting with the kidnapping of him and the senator's daughter, going through the person who found them in a soon to be blown up bank, and a made up story of how they got back to DC after many weeks of tedious work, working in a fight using Lielle's actual admirable skills to explain the broken arm, cuts and bruises. He did his best to look like the scared, spoiled child he was supposed to be, but he felt his face slip into blank nothingness.

He thought that he and Lielle had become good friends and he wanted to protect her, but she was the best fighter he knew. If she was not able to protect herself, who could. And now their enemy had the upper hand and Connor felt guilty for it. They hardly even bothered to ponder what the other Thrillers might think about them now that they left, even if they were trying to be helpful. None of them bothered to learn their policies for leaving or helping the enemy, even if it was only an accident. He would discuss it later with his father, but then something brushed his side. He patted a paper that rested in his pocket, obviously put there by a Traveler.

After being excused to go prepare for dinner and his father took over, he ran to his room and frowned. Inside lay two papers. The first was a formal letter, the type he was taught to write and respect. He unfolded it and read the unsettling note.

Dearest Connor,

We hope this letter finds you well. No one quite understands why you left us, but we assume you had your reasons. However, we have been concerned that you and the friends you left with have been off the grid so long, and only now appeared. We hope you will be able to send us a response with a reason and as much information as possible as soon as possible.

Yours truly,

Cory Altien (aka official letter sender for the Thunderthrillers)

He studied the letter several more times and decided to show his father and address it later. He moved to the next paper which was more of a note. In a messy scribble, the letter wrote;

Connor,

Where have you been, man? I don't know what you've been doing, but we need to tell you and your friends something important. Please come to the base tonight. Meet me in the computer room then and don't be seen.

Your man,

Daniel Jenow

He crumbled it up and smashed it into his pocket, running through the halls, still dressed up for dinner. A familiar woman sat stiffly next to her husband and Connor realized who he was looking at; Dr. and Senator Hallman. He bit his lip and sat down in his seat next to his mother. The second course was already out before anyone started talking, giving Connor much time to wonder if they had found out about their daughter.