068 - bridesmaid no more

songbird, chapter sixty eight
— bridesmaid no more

        "you're late!" mr schue exclaimed as mercedes sauntered into the auditorium, half an hour late to booty camp

"i know, i overslept." mercedes explained, joining the rest of the group, earning a perplexed look from quinn.

"it's 4:30 in the afternoon," she noted as mercedes walked by her.

"my alarm clock went off thirty minutes late this morning," mercedes continued. "it kinda shifted my whole schedule. anyway what's santana doing here?"

elle looked away from mercedes and glanced over to santana, who stood opposite of quinn, tina and herself, and groaned at the question.

"i've re-sworn my allegiance to the glee club," she explained, sparing a quick glance at eleanor. "without telling coach sue."

"mercedes," elle spoke up, walking toward her friend. "i'll catch you up?" she offered, walking the two of them to the centre of the stage where they started the steps before mercedes groaned and stumbled over to a garbage can.

"mercedes, are you okay?" mr schue asked, coming to her side while eleanor stumbled to a halt.

"my stomach hurts, i think i'm gonna be sick," she groaned.

"why are you babying her?" santana suddenly asked. "i mean, she can't do three steps without puking because she ate a quiznos before she showed up in this joint."

"mr schue, you have us scheduled to the second right now, and with school, glee club and booty camp, when else am i supposed to eat?" mercedes asked.

"when the rest of us do?" santana suggested.

"oh, like you eat!" mercedes barked.

"it's not about eating it's about attitude," mr schue dismissed. "sectionals are coming up and if we don't give it our all-,"

"i am doing my best!" mercedes groaned, still hunched over the trash can.

"no, you're not." mr schue argued. "it's not about doing your best anymore, it's about doing better."

eleanor frowned, knowing in her gut that if it was rachel who had sauntered into glee club late and caused a scene with feeling ill mr schue would've jumped to her defence in a heartbeat.

"come on, mercedes!" she encouraged, pushing past mr schue and taking her friends arm. "why don't we go to the nurse?" she suggested, glaring at mr schue and santana before leaving the auditorium.

for the rest of the following week, elle still felt herself getting heated with rage whenever she recounted the rehearsal, and could barely look mr schue in the eyes at rehearsals.

on her way to ms pillsbury's office, to drop off her UCLA application, she came across mike, at his locker, looking incredibly forlorn.

"you okay?" she asked, stopping beside him and offering a warm smile. "you look sad."