010 - vitamin d

𝐬𝐨𝐧𝐠𝐛𝐢𝐫𝐝, chapter ten
— vitamin d

      "okay, split up! guys on the left side, girls on the right

"okay, split up! guys on the left side, girls on the right." following instructions, elle shuffled from where she stood in the middle of the group, over to the right side of the room.

"here's the deal; two teams, boys versus girls, one week from today you will each perform a mashup of your choice." mr schue explained, delighting the cheerio's with his decision to make the lesson boys against girls.

the girls left the room, already discussing their plans to annihilate the boys with their performance the following thursday.

"we've got this in the bag." mercedes declared, confidently high-fiving elle who was already thinking of songs that they could use.

though it seemed that over the course of a few days, the girls motivation fizzled out, and when it came time for them to meet up and rehearse only six out of seven of them even showed up, while rachel was the only one with any desire to begin preparations.

"okay, girls we need to get started." she told them walking into the room where brittany was stretching her legs and santana was plucking her eyebrows while elle, mercedes and tina were sitting around the piano.

"we're getting warmed up." santana dismissed her, not removing her eyes from the mirror.

"where's quinn?"

"probably down at the mall getting elastic waist pants." brittany quipped, earning soft giggles from the rest of the girls.

"mr schuester's right guys, we can't get complacent."

"chill out, i already picked the songs." mercedes attempted to calm the riled brunette. "we're gonna do a mash of halo and walking on sunshine."

"yeah, that was my idea." rachel reminded her.

mercedes shrugged. "whatever, we can do this in our sleep. you think those six dudes are gonna give us any competition?"

rachel looked almost offended as mercedes continued. "i say we just wing it."

"we can't just wing it." rachel argued making elle roll her eyes and lay back exasperatedly across the piano.

"all those in favour of winging it?" she asked the room, earning no hands up including either of her own as the continued to scroll through her phone. "all those apposed?"

rachel raised an arm, looking around at the other girls exhaustedly.

elle quickly glanced around the room. "look's like the odds have it."

however by the time wednesday rolled around, and the boys performed an amazing mash up of 'it's my life' and 'confessions', the girls were beginning to wish they had a little more put together. especially since they only had two days before their performance.

later that day, rachel called for an emergency meeting for all of the glee girls where she proceeded to berate them for the better part of an hour about how they should've listened to her.

"were they really that good?" quinn asked, surprising elle with her attendance.

"they were, quinn." rachel nodded. " we underestimated the boys, their number will go to sectionals, and once again i will be humiliated."

"how were we supposed to know that they'd rock the house? they've never been good." mercedes pointed out.

"how did they do it?"

"the real question is, what were they on?" the girls attention was brought to kurt who was standing in the doorway. "though i've been grouped with the boys, my allegiance still remains with you ladies."

as he walked into the room, explaining how all of his idea's for the number went unheard, his expression fell. "we all took something."

elle couldn't help but smirk, a smirk that remained on her face until she appeared at mike's side at his locker. "cheater." she accused jokingly, sticking her tongue out at him. "kurt told us about your little trick."

mike sighed and closed his locker. "look it wasn't my idea." he defended himself quickly.

"relax, i know," elle chuckled. "finn got them from the nurse, right?"

mike nodded. "how's your number coming along?" he asked making elle tense up ever so slightly.

"it's, uh- it's coming." she smiled before waving mike off as he headed for football practice. "but rest assured, when we win, it'll be because we beat you fair and square."

she wasn't standing still for long however as rachel berry took her by the wrist and dragged her down the hall.

"jesus, rachel!" elle stammered in surprise. "what's the deal?"

turns out, the deal was going to the nurses office and getting a dose of vitamin d for themselves.

"everyone gets a dose- oh, except for quinn." mrs schuester explained quickly. "you get folic acid."

elle glanced at rachel. "are you sure we should be doing this?" she asked before glancing nervously at mrs schuester.

"it's over the counter, it's safe." she explained. "you can trust me, i'm a nurse."

"i thought you worked at sheets and things?" elle countered, making mrs schuester frown and push the small cup of pills closer to elle's mouth.

"it's good for you." she insisted, with a somewhat sinister smile on her face, making elle grimace as she quickly washed down her pills with a gulp of water.

but after just a few minutes, each of the girls started to feel the effects of the pills; and good for them it was.

in the space of a couple of hours, elle managed to finish her all of her homework that was due in over the course of the next three weeks all while helping the rest of the girls to put together their number for glee club.

each of them were jittering before they began their performance, with wide smiles plastered on their faces.

"thank you so much, it really is a pleasure." rachel began, barely breathing between words. "while the boys chose a selection of songs that cast an eye in wards on the irresponsible life choices of modern teens, we have chosen a selection of songs that speaks to the nation during these troubling times."

from where she stood, facing eleanor, quinn shot the girl a puzzled look, both of them wondering when rachel would stop talking.

"okay," she finished before rushing to get into position and the number started.

swiftly after the performance, eleanor and the girls bolted out of the room, still high on the rush of the vitamin d.

"we killed," elle told the girls, her body shaking with adrenaline. "we absolutely killed!" she beamed, hugging brittany tightly before the pair of them began spinning around while still in each others arms.