Ch. 27

< -- twenty - seven -- >

• •

Friday evening I sat on my chair with the window open playing Stand By Me for the third time. Eloise sat on the floor with her knees against her chest listening with her eyes closed. The first few times I practiced without plugging in the speaker just to get my hand movements right, work through the cramps and everything else. Feeling confident enough I pulled Cresette in but kept her low. Feeling like someone was watching me, I looked at my door and saw Eloise peeking. Nodding for her to join me we sat in silence while I played the song again then she asked me to play again and again then once more time.

I never got mad about replaying the song. It was a good one plus I hadn't really gotten into playing something different. The other song was by the Jackson 5 and I knew it would be a little fast for my bionic arm. To be honest, I was nervous about messing up even if I was alone.

"Lars?" Ellie sat up opening her eyes. "Can you play it again? I really like it when you play."

Nodding my head I started the song over swallowing thickly hoping that my voice wouldn't crack when I tried to sing the lyrics. Singing as I played Ellie snapped her fingers joining in whenever I got to stand by me part.

"Whenever you're in trouble won't you stand by me. Oh, stand by me."

Spotting movement in my doorway Ethan leaned against the frame with a small smile. No glasses on his face today he was dressed in dark grey basketball shorts and a red sleeveless shirt. "Hey man, I gave you a few days so I'm back." He said once the song was over. "Hey Ellie."

"Hey Ethan."

"Ellie, can you give me and Ethan a minute?"

"Will you play more later?" She asked standing up.

"Sure."

"Okay." She made her way to the door then paused running back to me. I wasn't prepared for the hug but accepted it willingly. Not caring about my fake arm this time I wrapped them both around her, holding my sister close. I couldn't remember the last time we hugged. It wasn't awkward at all. It was actually pretty nice.

Once Ellie left Ethan stepped inside leaning against the wall. "Apparently I'll have to learn some new songs." I said setting aside Cresette.

"It's nice to hear you play. I didn't know you could play so well."

"Thanks." Unplugging Cresette I rubbed a hand over my face feeling like the worst best friend on the planet. "Listen E. I'm sorry for the way I acted two weeks ago. I feel like shit for treating you like that."

"It's okay Lars."

"It's not okay." I shook my head. "You're my best friend and I shouldn't have pushed you away either. I do appreciate you giving me space and checking on me even though I was avoiding you."