¹⁴ Junkyard Rendezvous

Start from the beginning

Imogen cackled when Steve began telling Dustin about his hair secrets.

"Farrah Fawcett spray?" Dustin grinned, trying to hold back his laugh, it only being harder since Imogen was practically crying at this point.

"You tell anyone I just told you that and your ass is grass, you hear me?"

It was silent now, Imogen was looking around at the trees, frowning when she saw a mini yellow flag in the ground by a dying tree but her focus snapped to Steve who walked next to her.

"You okay?" he asked.

Imogen glanced at Dustin seeing him trying to contact someone again from his headset. "Yeah, I'm fine."

"Dustin said you almost had another attack, you sure?" Steve whispered, feeling his protectiveness for his little sister.

She rolled her eyes, cursing Dustin in her head for making Steve worry. "I'm good. I'll tell you if I'm not."

──

"Oh, yeah this will be good." Steve praised, looking at the clearing of a junkyard though it was only a few abandoned cars and scrap metal with a bit patch of dead grass in the middle, it would be perfect for their plan.

They start chucking meat all over before dumping it in the middle of the clearing in one big pile.

"I said medium-well!"

The group looked over their shoulders seeing Lucas and Max--who Steve had yet to meet-- squinting at them as Lucas walked his bike to lean against a car while Max had her hands in her pockets, smiling towards them.

"Who's that?" Steve asked, staring at the two who started walking towards them, his eyes on the redhead.

"Billy's sister." Imogen shrugged.

Steve glanced at her before looking over to Dustin seeing the look of nervousness and slight heartbreak before coming to a realization this was the girl he liked.

Imogen started helping Max gather scrap metal from around the junkyard to help barricade the bus.

Lucas and Dustin were off arguing behind a car and Steve was helping somehow, even though Imogen couldn't see.

A loud bang made Imogen flinch making her turn towards the sound, seeing her brother holding a metal folding chair, making her sigh in relief.

"Hey! Dickheads! How come the only ones helping me out is my sister and some random girl? We lose light in 40 minutes. Let's go!" Steve shouted.

"Alright, asshole! God!" Dustin yelled back.

──

Imogen sat by the window, looking through the crack in the metal, her leg bouncing nervously.

It was dark outside, the moon doing nothing to lighten the sky. The fog was covering the ground, barely being able to see the grass anymore due to it, it kinda looked like an ocean to her.

The longer they stayed out in the night the more paranoid Imogen got, but she tried to ignore the glances Steve would throw her way.

The only sound was the clicking of Steve's lighter and the pacing of Dustin--Lucas was on the roof with binoculars for look-out--when Max broke the silence.

"So you really fought one of these things before?" she asked, her blue eyes darting between the siblings in front of her.

Imogen caught onto the hint of doubt in the redhead's words, though she didn't blame the young girl. It seemed surreal.