Ch. 5 A Comforting Hug

Start from the beginning

Smiling bashfully, I said, "It's been a few years since I sang that song too. I just had a sudden urge to sing it."

He nodded as he laid down on his back next to me. I adjusted myself to give him room as he propped his head up with his muscled arms.

Smiling, I glanced down at him, his eyes were closed giving him a very peaceful look not like his usual intimidating look. Enjoying the calmness of the forest, I closed my eyes and basked in the sunlight like a cat.

A few minutes passed with comfortable silence before Garret spoke up. "How was your first day of school? Was it everything you imagined it to be?"

Sighing, I struggled to describe the school and ended up responding with, "Eh, it was okay nothing too exciting or embarrassing happened, so I think it was fine. But the design of the school is really... what's the word...extravagant," I replied struggling to describe the school.

Garrett laughed, "The school is something. I always thought the school was an ancient castle that held too many secrets."

Tilting my head to face him I asked him intrigued, "Do you really think there could be secrets involved in that school. I just thought it was an ordinary castle but I guess in reality nothing is ordinary when there's a castle involved."

Garrett nodded saying, "That's true, I guess the Council of Werewolves just wanted our school to be better and grander than the normal ones. But that school gave me a weird vibe like it was hiding something," Garrett responded faking shivering.

"Huh," maybe I'll have to do some investigating when at school.

"Oh, Garrett!"

As I yelled his name, many birds fluttered out of the trees in panic. I guess I startled the animals with my voice.

Sitting up, I just remembered that Garrett had a meeting with my father a couple of days ago to see if he is worthy to be the lead warrior in training. Gosh, I am such a bad friend how I could forget.

Turning to him I saw his back was uncomfortably straight as he stood up looking around wearily like there was danger. His eyes turned black as his wolf came closer to the surface.

"What, what's wrong Cress," Garret said as he scanned our surroundings.

I quickly stood up next to him wanting to calm him down since its my fault I yelled. I stood next him and gently placed my small hand on his massive biceps. Geeze, what does he eat to get so buff.

Quickly I said, "No, nothing is wrong, I just screamed now because I remembered something I was supposed to ask you. Sorry for startling you."

His body relaxed from its tense state as he looked down at me. His eyes went back to normal as he realized we weren't in danger. Embarrassment flashed in his eyes for a split second before nodding and asking, "What's up?"

Taking my hand away from his bicep I asked, "So how was the meeting with my father?"

Garret flopped down onto the blanket, "Ahh, that's what you wanted to ask. Well... it was more like your dad observing me as I trained the warriors."

He paused, as if that's all he was going to say. I looked at him curious to know more so continued on saying, "Well, he was seeing if I showed any leadership skills and judged my strengths and weaknesses during training."

He waved his hand around as he talked about what he did. "I did a good enough job to be assigned the second lead trainer for the warriors."

Excited, I jumped up and down before realizing I was acting like a kid and sat down next to him. I opted for clapping to congratulate him instead.

"I am so happy for you. I can't wait to be trained by you and not some mean guy."

Garrett smiled as he said, "Just know that I won't go easy on you when training with you."

I laughed too saying, "I never expected you too, but I know with you training me, I will be a very good warrior in the future... Well minus the fact that I can't shift into a wolf."

The atmosphere got a little grim as I thought about not being able to shape-shift into a wolf. I will never be normal like everyone else. Garrett noticed the attitude change in me and scooted over to me and gave me a small hug. At first, I stiffened as his solid arms wrapped around my shoulders but eventually melted into his arms.

Garrett's woodsy cologne invaded my nose and I took deep breaths trying not to cry. I have a tendency to cry when I am overwhelmed or have an eventful day like today. But I feel crying is a weakness, so I tend to not cry only when I am really overwhelmed.

This hug doesn't mean that we are in a romantic relationship but more as comfort. Werewolves have a tendency to be touchy feely people and tend to be close and affectionate to their pack and family members.

Since Garrett was ten and found out that whenever I am sad, in a fit or just down in the mud he always gave me a comforting hug. It is one of the only things that can calm me down and now all my family use it on me.

Feeling warm and calm I gently got out of his hug as he unraveled his arms from around me. Laying my head on his shoulder I said, "Thanks, I didn't think I would get emotional again."

Garrett just patted my head sweetly as we listened to the forest. Sighing in content, I closed my eyes and soon found myself really tired. I really hope my friendship with Garrett will never change. Then slowly I fell into darkness as sleep enveloped me.

***Please feel free to comment and vote for this story if you enjoyed it, thank you***