"Dude, aren't you gonna invite me in?" He asked, entering my home; Nina followed him close behind.

Sneering at me, she made herself comfortable on my couch and plastered herself to Roger's side.

"Dude, it's high time you find yourself a date." Roger suggested casually, and added, "Nina can hook you... "

"That won't be necessary. I am not going." I interrupted, and added, "I am not feeling well, please leave."

I had realized then that I had misunderstood him; had read too much into his lingering touches; his loving gazes.

At the prom, he and Nina were crowned King and Queen as expected. And the day after that, Roger had disappeared.

"He had a family emergency." I had overheard the girls discuss among themselves.

***

"Daniel! Are you even listening to me!?" Susan's shrill voice pierces my ear, and I shake my head. I pull her into my arms, "I am not that naive anymore, Su." I reassure her.

It doesn't help. She gives me a condescending look, "Time doesn't change people, Dan. He was a jerk back then. And he... "

"He hurt me back then, Su. I won't fall for him again. But I need to know. And tonight, I am going to get my answer."

"You idiot! Who are you trying to fool!? It's been five years and you are still not over him!"

Shaking my head, I lead my worried friend out of my apartment, "Trust me, I won't be taken advantage of again."

Susan huffs and walks out, and a few moments later, I leave to meet Roger, who had called that morning, and after idle chit chat, had invited me for dinner.

Mango Grove, the restaurant is high-end and gorgeous. Entering, I introduce myself and am escorted to a private room!

What the hell!?

"Dan, you look gorgeous. I have missed you." He compliments, taking my hands in his.

Are you kidding me right now!?

I nod and sit across him; in silence; staring, drinking each other with our eyes.

Minutes pass. My heart hurts; I can feel my eyes welling up. I lose my cool and blurt out, "You hurt me. You made me feel like a fool."

He gulps and looks away.

"What!? Nothing to say? Should I just leave?"

He shakes his head and avoids eye contact.

"Fuck you!" I yell and stand up, "Su was right. I am a fool." I bite out and turn.

Strong arms encircle my waist, "I had no choice. She had figured out your secret... my secret. She blackmailed me, Dan. I couldn't let her harm you."

"Your secret? But I thought... " I enquire, confused. And he turns me in his arms, "You thought I was not into you!?"

I nod, and he cups my face, "Dan, the way I looked at you then... the way I was looking at you moments ago, friends don't look at friends that way."
He whispers and brings our lips together.

" He whispers and brings our lips together

{Note: Word Count 996}