Together forever

[A/N:-
Characters are taken from:- Island (web series)
Starting:- Lee Da-hee as Won Mi Ho/ Wonjeong; Sung Joon as Gungtan; Kim Nam-gil as Van; Cha Eun-woo as Priest Johan.

The story is written for 'Glory of Villains'  contest organized by WattpadKDramas
]

After Van buries his dagger in my heart and I in his, his primordial body disintegrates. I watch him ebb away from my grasp as the ground opens under my feet and swallows me; I can't sense his presence anymore. 

I don't know how long I have been here. Trapped. Nonetheless, even in the dark, Van's accusations keep me company.

"Gungtan, stop this madness. Though demon blood flows within us, we are not demons. We are demon slayers. Why are you trying to hurt Wonjeong? She didn't know what the monk was planning! She has promised to save us!"

"Gungtan, we were partners once. Friends, even. It's not too late. Abandon insanity. You don't need to kill them. They were merely following orders!"

"Gungtan, it is clear to me now. There is no good left in you. I will never join you. Even in death, I won't follow you!"

Golden strings tormenting every fiber of my being, keeping me from escaping, fade slowly. Thanks to Van, I am awake, else I might have missed it.

In what feels like forever, my body vibrates with demonic energy seeping into me now that the strings are gone.

Oh, how I have missed it.

No sooner do the gold vines vanish than my sanity returns. Embracing myself, I glance around. My eyes search for someone who has abandoned me long ago: Van.

Van, why did you side with that witch!?

Van. My brother. My comrade. My friend. My...

Would he have turned against me if I had told him how I felt? Probably not. Van never saw me. Not really. Not since he laid eyes on Wonjeong.

Above me, the cage holding me in the dark abyss cracks and floods me with light. I wonder who has the guts and resources to free me.

The dark force already owns my soul, so when it comes to take charge of my body, I let it ravage me. A punishment I deserve for failing to kill Wonjeong the first time around.

Tears run down my cheeks. They mean nothing now that Van is gone…forever.

I wait till the last of the iridescent whips get bored of slashing my back and leave me. Giving me a few more minutes to heal, the weapon returns; wrapping around me again, it fuels me with raw strength.

Power thumps in my veins.

A smile tugs at the corner of my lips as my body ascends. Soon, Jeju's clear skies are looking down on me.

I plant my feet firmly on the ground and breathe the fresh morning air.

Van, we could have been here together. Maybe, just maybe, if you had held me instead of her, my soul would have clung to yours, but now, nothing can stop me from hunting down the priest and the lying whore who snatched you from me. Nothing except the barrier the witch has cast on the island, that is.

"Uncle?"

A familiar voice, Boo Yeom-ji's, begs my attention, making me turn.

"I am sorry." The child's words crack. I can smell her betrayal still; I should have killed her then. I can do it now, but I don't.