It would be you

[Author's Note:-
This is a fan-fiction based on the Korean drama, Moonlight drawn by clouds.

Bromantic Pairing:- Lee Yeong (the crown prince) and Chief Kim Byung Yeon (the Prince's bodyguard and best friend).
]

*****

The night was clear. I wished for rain but knew the heavens would not oblige. They were ruthless to me, as always. 

“Byung Yeon-ah, what are you doing standing outside? Come and have a drink with me. We still have a few hours to kill before the ceremony.”

I turned towards the closed door keeping us, master and servant, apart. “I would rather not, Your Majesty. I am on duty.”

“You are Joeson’s best sword master. A drink with an old friend is not powerful enough to jeopardize your skills.” He slurred.

I sighed, “Your Majesty, I implore you. Please, stop drinking.” There was no bite in my words. Like my heart, they were empty. “Your father will not be pleased-”

I abruptly stopped as the doors slid open, and I came face to face with Lee Yeong, the future king, my best friend…the man I was supposed to kill tonight. 

The crown prince pouted. Innocent.

His large, inky pools met mine and held me in an iron grip. I failed to look away; I did not want to either. He had kind eyes and a gentle, benevolent heart to go with them. My mind drifted back to when he had caught me lying to him, but instead of judging me, he had said, “If I had to choose one person I could trust completely, it would be you; you know that, right?”  

I gulped thickly and stepped back. I tore my guilty eyes away from my friend's pure ones.

“He must die if justice is to prevail, my boy,” I recalled my true master’s words. They ate at my conscience. I didn’t want to harm Lee Yeong; he had not killed my family…my people. 

“Byung Yeon-ah, you are sulkier than usual. Come on, spill!” He demanded. Taking a step towards me, he lowered his eyes to my sword: the one that had shed blood in his stead on multiple occasions in the years I had watched over him. 

I glanced at our hands and then back at him. I wanted to ask him not to go. Plunging the sword in my heart and ending my miserable existence had crossed my mind multiple times, but I knew it would solve nothing.

I was pulled out of my reprieve by long, slender fingers fisting my collar and jerking me inside the warm quarters.

“There.” Lee Yeong let go of me and closed the doors, effectively stopping the heat from escaping the cozy room. Approaching me again, he fixed my collar, “This is much better, isn’t it?” he inquired, offering me his trademark twinkling smile. “Now that we are alone, tell me what’s on your mind.”

I shook my head, but he interrupted me before I could sprout more lies. “Don’t even try. I have known you since we were kids. Though a lot has changed since then, it is still us. You and me.”

I finally dared to glance up. Sincere, dark orbs encouraged me to open my heart. Naked, bare of pretenses. 

A shudder hit my heart, freeing a tear I had fought with all my heart to keep trapped. “Did you mean what you said back then when-”

“Yes.” His reply was instant. “Always.” He added, patting my arm. “It will always be you, Byung Yeon-ah. Do you understand?”

I acknowledged with a nod. “Thank you, Lee Yeong-ah.” My heart freed and my guilt dead, I bowed. “Now, please, excuse me, Your Highness, but I need to stand guard. I will protect you and your heart. I promise.” And suppressing the urge to embrace my best friend one last time, lest I give myself away, I returned to my post.

“Fine! Have it your way. Handsome chief, Byung Yeon!” I heard him call from behind closed doors.

I tuned out his tantrums and cleared my mind. If I was to keep my promise, I had to focus. I had to save them both, Ra On, Lee Yeong’s love, and the future of Joseon.

That night, following my orders, I held Lee Yeong hostage with my sword at his throat. I watched his confused eyes dart between his lover - the traitor’s daughter, who was tied to the foot of the chair which sat her injured father - and me as I demanded the king to free them. I waited till my will was carried out. And after making sure that they were safe, I caught Lee Yeong's eyes. 

Worry, above all, swam in the dark orbs. 

Rest assured, my friend, I will protect your heart.

I smiled; with my tears falling unrestrained, I let my grip on the sword go slack.

Lee Yeong noticed; panic replaced fear, and he shook his head as if begging me to stop.

I may have lived my life as a traitor, but I was a good judge of a man’s worth; none other was worthier than Lee Yeong. He was what my country, the people deserved; they just didn’t know it yet.

I dropped my sword and welcomed the arrows that lodged themselves firmly in my back and chest without hesitation. I did not dare look at my friend as I joined my sword on the cold ground.

My eyes grew heavy, threatening to close for the last time when Lee Yeong’s anguish-filled countenance filled my vision. I felt his arms wrap around me a split second later.

“Byung Yeon-ah, I command you to stay alive! You can’t leave me! Do you hear me?” He cried through his tears; somehow, they filled me with unadulterated happiness and boundless relief. I recognized them for what they were: a testament to his trust in me.

I could finally rest; my wish had come true. We were parting as friends.

*****

[Word count:- 955 words]