The Reunion

"Friends don't look at friends that way!" My best friend, Susan, lashes out at me. She has every right to do that, for I had accepted Roger's invitation.

Roger, my first crush. The boy, who had entered my life like a tornado and left me brokenhearted.

***

Roger had caught my eye and trapped my heart as soon as he had set foot in the classroom.

With his big blue eyes, sharp prominent nose, and jaw that could cut steel, he had all the girls swooning over him.

I was swooning over him too, but from a distance.

When all the girls had tried their luck and left, he had smirked and gone back to his book.

Damn that smirk!

I had not realized it, but I was staring at him. He must have felt it, for the next moment, he looked up and caught my eye.

Fuck!

His smirk widened, and he smiled, before going back to reading. As if nothing had happened!

During the weeks that had followed, I tried to avoid him. But somehow, every time I turned, he was right there, looking at me.

Smiling, like he had me all figured out.

Finally, almost a month after our eyes had met, we came face to face at Susan's party once again.

Seven minutes in heaven, that damn game!

I was against playing it since the very beginning. But I had caved when Susan had looked at me pleadingly.

And as luck would have it, out of sixteen names, Roger's name was pulled out with mine.

Amidst disappointed murmurs and angry huffs, Roger pulled me to my feet.

"After you, mate!" He gushed as if he was cool with being locked in a room with another dude for seven minutes straight.

Left with no choice, I followed Roger into the room after giving a withering look to Susan.

Once inside, Roger pushed me against the wall and stepped between my legs.

"Your secret is safe with me." He whispered, caressing the shell of my ear.

Gasping, I tried to push him away unsuccessfully. Chuckling, he caged me between his arms, "Did I scare you?" He teased. His hands moved to my waist and played with the hem of my shirt, "Or, did I turn you on?"

I remained silent.

He leaned away, "Relax. I am not into boys. I was just teasing you." He admitted; I was surprised by the disappointment that flooded me.

"Let's be friends." He suggested out of the blue.

"Mn?"

"Don't avoid me. I am not gonna eat you, you know." He teased again and looked at me. "What say you?" He asked.

"Mn." I nodded, and a smile, soft and genuine, flicker across his face.

Coincidentally, we shared a lot of interests. We started spending a lot of time together, not only at school, but at each other's homes as well.

It was the happiest time of my life. Everything was perfect.

Then it happened, a week before prom, he showed up with Nina at my doorstep.