Chapter 2

It took a lot of convincing to persuade Alex to leave, but at last, Kara managed to cajole her sister out of her apartment. Shooing her off to meet up with her girlfriend. With the door falling shut, Kara let herself drop down on the couch.

The superheroine sighed. Why? she thought. Why had Mindmelta shown her this? This, this was becoming a bit of a habit, wasn't it?

Kara gnawed on her lower lip. The thought unsettled her. Maybe it was time to do something about it.

With a heavy heart, she rose and walked over to her dresser. She pulled open the middle drawer. Her hand rummaged through it, finally closing around the item she had stored away in the remote corner. Taking a deep breath and slipped the Legion ring onto her finger.

She ran her thumb over it. "Mon-El," she spoke aloud into the empty room.

The ring vibrated quietly, building up some warmth. Then, a wobbly picture appeared in front of her, a hologram projected directly from the ring, causing the familiar shape of Mon-El to appear in the middle of her living room.

"Supergirl!" His gaze darted around. He realized that she was in her apartment. "Kara," he corrected himself.

Kara stared at him blankly for a while.

A frown appeared on his face. She saw him move his hands, as if to ensure the connection was set up properly. "Are you okay? Is this an emergency?"

"Yes, I mean. Not." Kara cleared her throat. "I just wanted to check in with you. Did Winn arrive home safely?"

Mon-El smiled apologetically. "In fact he did. Thank you for taking care of him. He took a big risk, to go back into the past." But you are happy that he went anyway, Kara thought. "He's not in any trouble, if that's what you're worried about." Mon-El frowned. "Well, at least not in any serious trouble."

He waited for her to respond, but she wouldn't.

"Anything else you need?"

Kara blinked. What use was it to keep making excuses? "I'd really like to talk to you. Can, can you stop by?"

Mon-El's eyes widened in surprise. "Oh, of course."

"Good." Kara smiled weakly. "I'll be waiting."

Mon-El nodded and the hologram disappeared. Kara crossed her arms and started walking up and down the apartment. What exactly was she trying to achieve? What would talking to Mon-El really solve? He couldn't help her with the situation with Melta. In fact, there was no situation with Melta. Melta had been secured. So why was this still bothering her?

Before she could make up her mind a shimmering bubble, as large as a car, materialized in the middle of her living room. Kara felt her pulse spike.

I'm fine, she told herself. I'm fine, I'm fine. So the encounter with Mindmelta had just rattled her a little. She had never called upon Mon-El since he had left for the future, but considering the circumstances, this was reasonable, right. Right?

Kara fought the rise of panic in her chest as unbidden images raced through her mind. Walls. Crumbling walls. A subtle line formed a square at the front of the bubble. It opened. Out stepped Mon-El. Behind him, the travel bubble dematerialized. Kara gawked at him. They, they were friends now, weren't they? Even though he had left. He had wanted to be friends, that was why he had left her the ring.

Not trusting her voice, she nodded at him, trying to create a semblance of professionalism.

"You called, Supergirl", he said with a smile.