From Protector To Lady Chapter 21

I stood watching the two "lovers" dance, surely a look of complete bewilderment sitting upon my face. When had this happened? Surely it was not done by the hand of Rebecca or Stanton. She would have never accepted and he would never have asked.

     Determined to find out what happened, I sought out my sister, who was dancing happily with Arden.

"Amelia, I must talk to you," I said as I tapped her on the shoulder. She looked at me and nodded, her face turning somber.

She followed me out of the ballroom and I turned around, shaking my head. "How? What is going on?" I asked.

"Father, it had to have been his idea. I was unaware of it as well," she said as she took my hand into her own. She knew I had developed feelings for Rebecca.

"Philip, I know how you must be feeling, but...excuse me for saying so, but you saw them, you know them. They belong together, they just do not know it yet," she said, smiling apologetically at me.

"He does not belong with any woman, he does not deserve her!" I said in denial, ignoring what my gut was trying to tell me.

"Stanton does not have a very admirable history with women, we know that. But we have also witnessed something or at least I have. She does something to him, something he cannot control. He will be a good husband to her, I'm sure of it," her voice soothed.

"I will not agree with that, but there is nothing I can do now," I replied, my eyes closed. I felt as if a vice had a grip on my chest, I honestly had not seen this coming. I had thought I had a chance in winning her over. I would have waited for her, I would have been patient. She could have developed feelings over time and if she didn't so be it, I would have accepted that, but now I will never know.

"Have you wished them well?" she asked.

"No, I haven't," I shook my head.

"Philip, you must. As the prince you must bestow your positive wishes upon them," she chided, pulling me back inside, the music an upbeat melody now, couples twirling about. "Don't be childish, Philip. Go."

     I took a deep breath, swallowing every ill statement I wished to speak as I walked up to the couple, who were just in the process of leaving from what I assumed, as they were not dancing and heading towards the doors.

"Sir Stanton, Lady Rebecca," I greeted them, my voice steady and pleasant.

"Philip," Rebecca cooed, her voice light and sweet.

"Philip," Stanton spoke in his deep tone as he nodded to me.

"In regards to the news of your engagement," I said, pausing. "I would like to wish you the very best, may your future together be bright and everything that you wish it to be."

     Rebecca smiled what I knew was a forced smile as Stanton cleared his throat. It was obvious they did not want to be in this situation.

"I thank you," Stanton said as he held out his hand. I shook it firmly, looking him deep into the eyes. I knew he could see every ounce of pure loathing they held for him. It was not his fault my father forced them into this situation, but my heart could not stop the jealousy from seeping out of me.

"As do I," Rebecca said as she curtsied. Surprising both myself and probably her, I gathered her into my arms, pulling her into a tight hug.

"Oh," she said as she finally wrapped her arms around me, returning the embrace.

"If you need anything, ever, you can come to me," I whispered into her ear. She nodded quickly before letting go.

     Nodding to the both of them, I turned and quickly walked through the crowds of people, disappearing to the set of eyes that followed me.