Her face flames red, "Excuse me, Mr. I stubbed my toe."

I snicker using my hand to cover my mouth, "You could always pretend Owen didn't say shit, and whatever word he says next is his first word?" It's a solution they could try and judging Charlie's look, I think it's a pretty good option.

"Shit is a pretty damn good first word," Nick grins proudly letting Charlie's comment go.

Charlie grabs the nearest thing and throws a pillow at Nick. Except it's a pillow, so it obviously does not hurt him and only results in furthering his laughter. "It's not funny, Nick." She tries to scold, but her smile cracks through and she joins her husband in laughing.

I glance at the hallway, almost wishing that Maddox was still in the room because I'm not comfortable enough with them for him to leave me alone with Charlie and Nick. They're nice people and are clearly important to him, I just don't know what safe topics are.

Nick tries to steady his breathing as he relaxes back into the couch again, "You know you can laugh right? We aren't the kind of people you need to tiptoe around if our kid saying shit didn't prove that already."

"I know, I just don't want to intrude on a moment." I say, and Charlie smiles genuinely at me.

"I promise you that you aren't interrupting anything. I'm glad that Maddox brought you, even if he did teach our kid to say shit."

I let out a chuckle because it was pretty funny. "I'm happy to be here. You guys are really important to him."

Charlie's eyes grow sad and she nods, still smiling, "I should go check on Maddox and Owen. I'll be back."

"I'm sorry about that, it's hard for us to see someone else with Maddox," Nick apologizes once Charlie is out of earshot.

"I understand, don't worry about it." I smile reassuringly at him because it is okay. I can't imagine if my brother had been old enough to get married before he died, and then his ex-fiancee had brought her new boyfriend to my house? Maybe this trip was a mistake...

"We are very happy you're here, it's just an adjustment period."

"Please, its okay. Really. I can't imagine what you guys have been through." I insist tucking my hair behind my ear. An awkward silence falls over us, and I have no idea what to say. I let my eyes linger on the stairs that Maddox and Charlie both disappeared up, and I wish that Maddox would come back.

Nick coughs, and I avert my attention back to him, "Sorry, I had a tickle in my throat." He apologizes, and I nod smiling.

A few more seconds tick by. "So what do you do for a living?" I ask, trying to start some form of conversation. Anything is better than the silence.

He smiles, relieved for some form of conversation. "Well after finishing out my service obligation, I got a job at consulting firm. Worked my way up to a project leader, and I'm set to get another promotion soon. What do you do?"

"I'm a bartender."

Nick's eyes light up, "So does that mean that next time we're in New York we can come get free booze from you?"

I smile genuinely, "I might be able to work something out with John. I can't promise any top-shelf liquor though."

"Sounds great. We'll have to make another trip down soon," He says, just as Maddox and Charlie start heading down the steps, much to my relief.

"Charlotte, I promise you that me saying it once was not going to cause it to be his first word," Maddox tries to reason, and she huffs.

"Well Maddie, I'm blaming you because you swore in front of my child, and then he said shit!" She exclaims, moving quickly.