13: cassidy

I met Maddox at his place before because there was no way I was letting him pick me up from Jupiter's. I'd followed through with taking space from Noah, but it didn't stop me from worrying about his problems. Jupiter had spoken to him, and he didn't once bring up his problem with alcohol and gambling. She did say that his eyes were bloodshot, and he appeared to be hungover reassuring me that I had made the right decision.

And then Maddox asked if I'd go with him to an event Saturday for his family's company. I didn't have the heart to tell him no.

He walks out, still working on his tie as I observe one of the two paintings above the couch. They complement each other well: one with a mixture of fiery reds and purples with the other being the calmest of blues with greens mixed in. They connect in the center with a swirl, and I'm awestruck.

"They're incredible," I comment, turning to look at Maddox with a smile. He smiles faintly and nods in agreement.

"Yeah, they are."

I look down at the pale blue tie hanging around his neck undone, and before I know it, I've got it tied perfectly. Maddox raises an eyebrow at me, and I stumble over my words, "My... ex could never do it himself, so I had to learn myself to help. It's a near-perfect match to my dress." I leave out the part where the color matches our eyes perfectly and that I'm not sure how I feel about calling Noah my ex.

My dress is a deep v-neck with a front leg slit and pale blue with gold and silver embellishments sewn carefully into the fabric in exquisite patterns. It feels like something that's too much for me, like I'm truly a child playing dress-up. But the dress was waiting at the front desk under my name, and it didn't take a genius to know that Maddox had picked it out and paid for it. Jupiter swooned when she saw it, and I'd be lying if I said I hadn't.

"I tried, you look beautiful," He compliments sweetly, pressing his lips to my forehead. I suppress a giggle when I feel his scruff, "Did you do something different with your hair?" Maddox asks, taking a careful sweep over my hair that is pinned up expertly thanks to Jupiter.

I adjust the lapels on his suit, making sure they lay flat, "Just went a little fancier than normal." I'd hoped he would ignore that I had re-dyed my hair brown because my blonde roots had started to grow in, and I was worried that he would smell the dye. "You look great," I compliment taking in how his short blonde waves are brushed back, and Maddox had let his scruff grow, helping to accentuate his strong jaw. His dark suit fits him perfectly, and the gold cufflinks help depict a strong sense of masculinity.

Maddox smiles and takes advantage of our close proximity by brushing his lips over mine, and I rest my hand on his chest to coax more out of him. He makes forgetting everything so easy.

I'm distracted by the vibration of his phone coming from inside his pocket, and I pull back giggling like a schoolgirl with a crush, "Maddox, your pocket."

He takes a step back and pulls the phone out of his pocket, "They're here, but I have one more surprise for you."

"I don't need a surprise," I say suspiciously following behind him, and he goes to a bag that was sitting on the countertop, grabbing a velvet box. He hands it to me proudly, and I open it hesitantly. Inside rests a beautiful diamond drop necklace, and my jaw drops, "I can't accept this."

He rolls his eyes and pushes it towards me, "Non-returnable. It'll just sit in that box collecting dust unless you decide to wear it."

I hesitantly look at it as if it will bite me if I touch it, "I'm not here because I want your money. I don't need the dresses or jewelry."

"I never thought you were; they're just presents. There's no harm in accepting them." Except he would think that if he knew who I was. Maddox stares at me, and I dip my chin slightly in acknowledgment of what he's saying, "Can I help you put it on?"