Chapter Two

(Kaylan in multimedia)

~Aliyah's POV

"So I'm literally face-to-face with THE Abel Tesfaye, an inch away from passing out."

"You're shitting me!" Kaylan exclaims, her jaw dropping. The morning after her surprise visit, we got all dressed up and went out for brunch, continuing to catch up.

"I wish! Oh my God, he's so charming. That whole deep and mysterious persona he has, I didn't see any of it until he starting singing. His voice is like, a million tiny orgasms for my ears."

"Stop bragging! I can't believe you work with stars like that, you amateur. I heard Fly on the radio the other day and almost started crying." I just shrug, smiling at the memory. I am truly blessed to be so close to this position. I remember when I was little, wanting to be a mega superstar and sing to adoring crowds. The fame, the fortune, the bling. It's all I could ever dream of. "I'm still getting paid for that one track, you know that right?"

"Same here! How you think I could afford this damn purse?!" I say, referencing my Michael Kors handbag I bought for myself a few weeks ago. I love splurging on myself, I swear I am my own wife.

But now, I've taken a liking to working behind the scenes. The engineering and skill put into just a single, never-mind an album, is so intriguing. I'd much rather make my money this way.

"So who's next?" She asks before taking a sip of her strawberry mimosa. I told her it was too early to be drinking, but hey. That's good ol' Kaylan.

"I'm not sure, I'm gonna have to reschedule my meeting, so it depends who on the label wants to work with me."

"I still can't believe you cancelled a meeting for greasy cheeseburgers and mani-pedis with me." She smiles.

"Excuse the hell out of me for wanting to spend some time with my best friend that I haven't seen in 2 years! The last time I saw you, you had just turned what, 20?"

"Yeah! Man, that was a fun ass time." she bounces her eyebrows at me.

"Oh God, I'm never speaking of it again." I scoff.

"Happy birthday to you, happy birthday to you! Happy birthday dear Kaylaaaaaan, happy birthday to you!" The crowd cheered as Kaylan blew out her candles. As soon as she did, the loud music instantly started back up, drinks were up, and everyone was back on the dance floor. For old time's sake, Kaylan flew back to Cali and celebrated her birthday at Red. Everyone we knew showed up, it was a great turn-out.

Well, expect 'Mindless Behavior'. It was really fucking disappointing they couldn't take the time to stop by and say happy birthday, considering they were touring in L.A the next day. But whatever. We got over it so fast, not letting it ruin her night.

I'm totally lying. She got over it, I didn't. As much as I wanted to, I still couldn't shake Jacob from my mind, or my heart. And seeing him on T.V, and hearing them on the radio just made it harder and harder everyday. I still loved him.

The loud bass of Big Sean's Paradise boomed out of the speakers. I looked over at Kaylan, grinding her ass on some guy. I'm guessing she knows him, he did fly out here with her.

I sit at one of the tables, drinking my sparkling water and observing the scene with my feet up on another chair (bad habit). I could've had a drink if I wanted to, it was just too early in the night for it. Plus, I like to people watch. Dana and Emerald were dancing and drinking more than fish, Jayden doing the same with Laurielle and Mimi. I saw Yasmine a while ago, but I guess she left.

All of a sudden, the chair supporting my legs is moved from under me, causing me to stumble and spill my drink all over my outfit. I turn around, ready to bark at whoever was stupid enough to pull the chair that hard, when I'm encountered with the sight of the best piece of Hershey's chocolate I've ever seen. A man with beautiful cocoa skin, strong lawline, perfect teeth, and a buff build with big brown eyes that seem to smile more than his lips do.