Chapter Twelve: Worst in Me

Reese P.O.V

It was nice to talk about it. It made me question why I ever thought keeping the whole, 'I have the potential to not graduate' thing a secret. Just talking about it with Beckett made me feel better. I knew he would always be there for me no matter what happened, but hearing him say we'll get through this together made the stress thin out. Although the pressure and stress were still there, stuff like that won't just disappear; knowing that Beckett was there beside me made it seem like nothing compared to the stressed mess I had been the day before. To think, one conversation with a guidance counselor and I was turned into a stressed, nervous wreck.

The conversation at breakfast was a real game-changer for me. It pointed out a couple of things that Beckett and I needed to work on as a couple. Communication being the biggest one. I know I shouldn't have just walked out, but I did anyway. I don't know what I would have done during the few hours I was gone if the situation was reversed. I would have been beside myself with anxiety and panic. To think I had put Beckett through such concern for such a stupid reason makes me want to smack myself silly.

I didn't think it would be only a day later that another argument would present itself.

Again, it spawned at the source of my other problem; school. Although I wasn't particularly failing any classes, a few failed tests could easily change that, which is why the out of the blue test hit me like a bomb. I had been studying for another class, so hearing I had a test the next day made the panic that had dulled, returned with a brute force.

And so, the rapid studying began yet again, except this time, there was a much stronger urgency. This test was tomorrow. Failing it could literally sign me graduating away.

That mentality controlled me all day long. My textbook had become my new best friend. I knew I shouldn't be worrying this much about this test. Sure, it could have a significant impact on my life, but stressing over it this much would only make everything worse. I would jumble things up by accident, and then the stress and pressure would ultimately be my downfall. Would I be like this every time a teacher mentions a test? My senior year is going to be h*ll if that is the case.

But this day wasn't just any day. I didn't realize it because of my extensive studying, but I had forgotten something important.

After school ended was when everything started falling apart.

"Finally," Beckett sighed in relief, settling into the passenger seat of my vehicle. "Those teachers were about to drive me crazy," He smiled over at me, there was a tired look in his eyes. School had been stressing him out too; with everything else going on, it obvious.

"Which ones?" I had a feeling I knew exactly which teacher really got on my boyfriend's nerves, but I had a feeling he wanted to rant about his day.

"You know who. Gosh, that man is such a d*ck to me for such a stupid reason. People like him shouldn't be teachers if they are going to act like that," Beckett paused, taking a deep breath before sighing, likely calming himself down. "I really don't care if he doesn't support gay people, but he doesn't have to treat me like that because of it."

"I know, just give me the word, and I'll take it into my own hands," I said as my fist clenched around the steering wheel. H*ll I was half-tempted to handle it with or without his word. It was clear that this teacher was making this harder for him, and it seemed to only be getting worse as each day passes. If this continues, I will not hesitate to give this guy a piece of my mind.

"Let's not, your way would involve violence," I smirked at that. Of course, it would involve violence. Based on what Beckett has told me about this guy, it was clear that words weren't going to do anything. Besides, homophobic people aren't even human; they're punching bags. This guy, in particular, deserves a good swing in the gut.

"Duh."

"Oh, we have to stop somewhere before going home," Beckett said suddenly, making me flinch at his voice's suddenness. We have somewhere to go?

"We do?" This has to be out of the blue because I have no idea where we would have to go. "Where?"

"The bakery on East Street," Why in the world would we need to go to a bakery? I feel like I'm missing something. Have I forgotten something? It felt like I have, but nothing was coming to mind. Oh, please let this feeling of forgetfulness be nothing.

"Why are we going to a bakery?"

Beckett laughed as if my question was funny. But I saw nothing funny about it, as it a genuine question that I felt like I deserved to know the answer to. If nothing else, his laughter made me feel like I really have forgotten something important. When his laughter died down, and he realized I wasn't laughing too, he paused.

"To get the cake," Beckett looked at me, watching for recognition, but I was even more confused. Why did we need a cake? What kind of cake? Did I forget someone's birthday? But no one came to mind. Gosh, if I actually did forget someone's birthday, I'll be such an *ss because literally, nothing is coming to mind. "Reese, you do know what today is, right?"

I flinched, knowing I was screwed. I forgot. What did I even forget? What event was today that I have seemingly forgotten?

"Oh my god. It's Courtney's birthday, Reese!" The moment he said it, I felt like such a d*uche. How in the world did I manage to forget my sister's birthday? After realizing that was what I forgot, everything else made sense. I knew today was different from other days; the date had stuck out a bit too, but I couldn't figure out why exactly why it stuck out. Well, I know now.

I'm a horrible brother.

"You seriously forgot?" Beckett asked, probably hoping it was a joke on my part. I wish it were just a joke on my part. My lack of an answer told Beckett everything he needed to know. "Let's just get the cake," I could hear it, the subtle disappointment in his voice. I should have been able to remember something like that. Why did it slip my mind? Was it studying? Was it stress? No. It was all on me. I should have been able to remember, regardless of the situation.

"I seriously don't know how I forgot," I admitted, hoping Beckett would believe me. I pulled into the bakery parking lot, looking over at Beckett to make eye contact with him.

Beckett didn't say anything for a second, hopping out of the vehicle, pausing before closing the car door. "I know," Beckett said as he closed the door, heading into the bakery to get the cake, leaving me to sit there, feeling like a horrible brother.

I'd have to make it up to her, even if she doesn't even know I forgot. I will somehow make it up to her.