Chapter Seventeen: When You Look At Me

Beckett P.O.V

Ross and I sat at that cafe for hours. Although he had only been gone a year, to me, it felt like a decade, and I felt like I had told a decade worth of stories. We laughed, and for the first time since way before he left, I felt like the person sitting across from me was my brother and not a high or drunk version. It had been so long since I had seen Ross like this, sober, that I could have cried, and it would have been an ugly cry, like sympathetic looks from people crying.

That's why it was almost painful to walk away. I was the first person Ross had reached out to; meaning dad didn't know he was back yet. Ross said he needed to prepare himself for that reunion and asked that I didn't tell dad he was back in town. I assured him I wouldn't, even though I wasn't the best at keeping secrets. I didn't want to leave. A part of me was afraid he would disappear again, but I knew he wasn't ready to be shoved back into the spot he had left behind. So many things had changed, and any normal person would need some time adjusting, especially since everyone else had all but moved on. He didn't have a bedroom in the house now, not that he plans on moving back in.

It's just a feeling, but this town, these places, they hold memories for him, but not good ones. So I wouldn't be surprised if he decided to find a new place to call his own, far away from his past and, essentially, us. But I know I shouldn't think about it like that and be thankful he returned at all.

After making him swear he'd be in touch again soon, and a lengthy hug, we departed the cafe. Watching his back as he left, I felt warmer inside, comforted by the fact that Ross was turning his life around, even if it meant he wouldn't be around that often.

Walking back home gave me time to think. I didn't tell anyone where I was going, and now I was glad since I'd have to create an alibi. But, of course, it will be weird keeping Ross's reappearance a secret, especially from Reese who I tell everything too. It would be okay, though. Aside from thinking about my new temporary secret, there was also dread kicking in because of school tomorrow. Knowing my school, nothing has been. I'd walk into tomorrow, and that *sshole will still be there. I shouldn't have to dread going to school because of a teacher, a homophobic one at that, and I most definitely wasn't going to hide who I am because of it. If that substitute thought that harassing me was going to do anything, he is dead wrong. I'll make sure of that.

I tried not to think about it and shift my thoughts to other things, better things. Courtney was so excited to get that chair, and it helped her make the room more her own. She even put some fairy lights around the top of it, which made it look even more cute and comfortable. I guess I know what I'll be asking my boyfriend to get me for Christmas.

I know Reese has been stressing out about school, especially the surprise test that he had crammed to study for. He has been anxious the past few days, dreading getting the results. I know he did fine, but he'll worry about it until he sees the number on the top of the paper. He hadn't about school before we started dating, so seeing him so desperate to pass, so dedicated, it made me feel like I was a good influence. I liked that feeling.

I liked him.

Which put a skip in my step as I hurried home, ready to jump back into bed and cuddle the day away. Cuddle, nothing else; I know where people's minds tend to go. I wasted no time rushing into the house and announcing my return. I had been all but running towards my bedroom when I came to an abrupt halt when I noticed that Reese was cooking in the kitchen.

"Hey babe," I said happily, walking into the kitchen towards him. I wrapped my arms around his back, hugging myself up against him. I stayed there for a second, taking in his warmth and heartbeat. I peeked my head under his arm after smelling whatever he was preparing to see him manning multiple pots and pans, stirring and flipping things. "What are you making?" I asked him, glancing up at his handsome face.

"You'll see," He teased. It was then that I noticed that the island had two sets of plates prepared with the fancy glasses pulled out. I whipped my head back around to see that silly smile on Reese's face as I came to the realization that he was making up for the date we missed. I could have cried at that, at how thoughtful and amazing my boyfriend was. I hugged him tighter, wanting him to feel all my love and appreciation.

"You are such a tease."

"No, I'd say you are," Reese teased back, proving my point. I lightly punched his arm, which got me a hearty laugh. I loved this side of him, the warm and sweet side that not that many people get to see. "Go ahead and sit down; it should be ready in a few minutes," He gestured with a sauce-covered spoon over to one of the island seats. I pouted, wanting to stay cuddled against him, but decided to do as he said. After squeezing his *ss, that is.

"Hey!" He jumped slightly, waving the spoon around as though it was a weapon. Seeing him in chef mode was kind of funny, considering Reese didn't cook that often. I think he doubts his culinary skills. I raised my hands up in surrender as I walked backward toward the island seat.

"You cannot expect me not to squeeze something meant to be squeezed."

"Oh my god, shut up."

"No, I'm being serious. You have a nice, squeezable butt."

"I don't know whether I want to take that as a compliment or not."

"You should; it's nice and firm."

"Beckett."

"Okay, okay, I'll stop." 

A/N: I'm back :) I've missed these boys so much, like omg.