Chapter 5

(John's detention sheet from school

(John's detention sheet from school. 😂😂)

 John had been laying in the sofa for a while now, letting his thoughts run through his head. He was thinking too deeply when he heard a knock on the front door and jumped.

John quickly sat up as his wife opened the door. 

 "It's your friends." she said stepping aside to let them in.

 "Come on in." He said lighting a cigarette. 

 "Ey John. We dropped by the hospital and they said that you left on yer own will."

 John shrugged. "So?"

 " So, you were supposed to stay there until THEY release you. "

 "What's yer point?"

 "They want us to keep an eye on you."

 "No. No more watching me. I'm through with that."

 "We haven't been watching you."

 "No, but the shooter watched me up until he shot me."

 "And how do you know that?" 

 "It's not rocket science genius. How else would be have known where I was and at what time? He had to have been watching me."

 "Not to worry. Cops are looking for him."

 "With what evidence?"

 "A bullet ha been lodged in a building and they pulled it out, not to mention , the four they pulled from you."

 "Ye know, getting shot hurts way worse than it looks in movies."

 "And at this moment is when you promise me you won't get shot again."

 "Sorry. No can do. I don't know what's going to happen tomorrow. Do they know what type of gun it was?"

 "Yeh. A cop told us yesterday. It was a .38 caliber pistol. But that's all I know."

 "Okay. I do hope they're done with questioning me. I'm sick of it."

 "I can guarantee that they're not done."

 "Tell them to leave me alone. I talked to plenty of cops and to top it all off, I'm trying to avoid reporters."

 "So they don't ask stupid questions about who this guy is or whatever?"

 "Right. not to mention, I don't want to talk to them in general. So, that's my life right now........."

 "Yer life? Press has been trying to get one of us to comment on what happened!"

 "Stop yelling. This isn't yer farm. it's an apartment. Neighbors could hear you. Remember that."

 "Okay. Sorry." Paul said as he went to sit next to him on the couch. "Now, can you think of any someone would kill you?"

 "I already told you. I don't know."

 "Think."

 "I can't! I don't know why someone would kill me. I didn't make anyone mad recently........"

 "That doesn't help."

 "You think I don't know that?"

 "Doesn't have to be recent."

 "I don't know. I had a good life. Can we just change the subject? I don't want to talk about this the whole time yer visiting."

 Paul nodded and checked his watch. It was still early in the day. 

 "Got somewhere to be Paul?"

 "No. What, I can't check the time?"

 "I didn't say that. but let me just say, you don't have to stay here on account of me. You could go home."

 "Hmm. Let me think about that for a second........no. We're not leaving."

 "Okay. Then where are you staying at?"

 "A hotel just down the road. Nice place too."

 John shrugged. "I hate hotels."

 "Yer not the one staying in one."

 "Would you want to stay here?"

 "No. Don't want to impose on you."

 "It's not imposing. Stay here so you don't have to spend a lot of money."

 "John......"

 "Paul.......I'm not asking you. Plus, I need someone to talk to."

 "You have Yoko."

 "I know. But I want old friends to talk to. Been a while since I've seen any of you lot."

 "Alright. We'll stay here. Just don't drive us crazy like you did fifteen years ago."