The Mask (Levi x Reader)

Start from the beginning

The mask was the exact color of his eyes.

Had (f/n) intended that? It seemed too perfect to be a coincidence. If that were the case, then not only had she bought a mask for him, but she had also taken a lot of care when choosing it.

Levi's chest tightened a little more, warring with his determination not to go to the party. Sure, he would probably have a terrible time, but (f/n) went to all this trouble. Maybe it wouldn't be so bad. After all, he would get to spend the entire night with (f/n)...

No. That was exactly why he couldn't go. If he went with her, if he let himself relax around her, he might slip up and reveal his true feelings. At the very least, he would probably do something embarrassing. Not to mention, the rest of his squad would be there. He couldn't afford to get flustered in front of them. He was their superior, after all.

Levi returned to his desk, pulling the mask off of his head. He would pay (f/n) back for it later. But there was no way he could go to Carnevale with her.

Yet, as he continued working his way through the files on his desk, he couldn't stop himself from periodically glancing at that mask. And he couldn't shake the nagging sensation that he should go to the party anyway.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

The clock struck eight, and Levi loosed a breath. Well, that was that. (F/n) and the rest of his squad would be gone by now. And he wasn't going with them.

But maybe it wasn't too late...

Once again, his eyes were pulled to that grey-blue mask on his desk. He gritted his teeth, fighting against that nagging sensation that had been hounding him for the past few hours. Sure, (f/n) had gone to a lot of trouble to get it, and she would probably be disappointed...but he was not going. He was not going. He was...

Damn it, he was going.

With a soft growl, Levi grabbed the mask and stormed off to change.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Levi piled out of the carriage with Hanji and her group. He had been lucky enough to hitch a ride with her. And after he had explained that he was trying to catch up with his squad, she was all too happy to let him join.

Hanji waved goodbye to him as she and her group disappeared into the crowd. Now all he had to do was find (f/n).

However, he was struck by the sheer impossibility of that task as his eyes took in the full extent of the festivities. The entire city was fair game for the party. There were street bands, food stalls, and games set up everywhere. How was he supposed to find (f/n) amongst this mess?

He thought for a moment, trying to determine (f/n)'s most likely course of action. Then he remembered that she loved dancing, so he asked the nearest shopkeeper where someone would go if they wanted to dance. The man pointed him in the direction of the square, saying it was the biggest dance floor in the whole city. Levi thanked him and headed off.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

When the shopkeeper said that this was the biggest dance floor in the entire city, he wasn't kidding. There must have been hundreds of people here. Locating (f/n) was going to be like finding a needle in a haystack. It didn't help that most of these people were taller than him, and he couldn't see over their masked heads.

Steeling himself, Levi began pushing his way through the crowd. Walls, this was disgusting. All these strangers, reeking of alcohol and covered in sweat. He was going to have to take a minimum of three showers just to feel clean again.