Chapter 21

Quickly, CharmingRhythm and SpinningNote retraced their steps down the ramp and into the Hybrid camp. Rhythm glanced upward and saw where his Pegasus friends were circling. They were exchanging shots with the Hybrids below. Rhythm followed Spinning back into the shed they had found ThunderCharm in. Spinning peered out of a hole in the wall, planning their next move.

"I'm afraid we might have to fight some Hybrids," Spinning fret. "Unless we can run past them."

Rhythm found a crack to eye out of. "There's that barn. I checked there already but I could have overlooked something. It was dark. I guess I could try again."

The Unicorns creeped out and followed along a wooden fence. Rhythm's horn glowed briefly as he casted another spell. In the dark shadows of the gorge, his horn was more luminous than ever. The flash of light alerted a Hybrid, which began to chase them.

"Fuck!" Rhythm let out, jolting his head back.

"Go inside," Spinning insisted. "I'll keep this guy busy."

As Rhythm darted inside, Spinning held his ground against the Hybrid. It swung it's claw forward, which bashed against Spinning's shoulder pad. He jumped to the right, and fired blue energy into the side of the Hybrid. The claw flew again, which caught the skin above Spinning's EPD. He disregarded the bleeding and kept fighting.

Inside, Rhythm analyzed the barn for a second. His horn shone in the dark space. I don't see any Hybrids, he realized. He saw movement in a corner of the barn. It was a pony working machinery, only visible by his red mane. Rhythm pressed forward and got to the pony's side. It was the Pegasus ThunderCharm had described. He started ushering the young Pegasus towards the exit.

Just then, there was a creaking sound. Stretching his neck, Rhythm peered up behind him. A pair of red eyes glowed in the darkness. A Hybrid showed itself on the loft of the barn. It began firing down blasts at Rhythm. He levitated a crate up and slammed it against the enemy.

It was distracted, but so was Rhythm. Something small scuttle along the ground from where the crate was. It made its way to Rhythm, perched itself, and started beeping. Rhythm started down in shock. A bugmine! Rhythm made a break for it, bumping into the grey Pegasus. The bugmine exploded, sending shrapnel into Rhythm's back legs. He ignored the pain and ignored the Hybrid from the loft. The doors flung open and he forcibly shouldered the Pegasus outside.

Spinning was still fighting the Hybrid in the clearing. Running around like mad, he attempted to lose his enemy. It appeared tired, almost ready to give up. Periwinkle magic raised a crate up and dropped it on the Hybrid. The force was enough to knock the cyborg out.

"Spinning! Don't lift the fucking crates up! They have bugmines!" Rhythm snapped.

Whipping his head around, Spinning caught sight of the mobile mine crawling towards him. He levitated it up and threw it toward the gorge wall, where it exploded. Rhythm shielded his eyes with his right foreleg. He glared at Spinning who mouthed 'sorry.'

The pair escorted the Pegasus between them through the Hybrid camp. They made their way west to another shed. Luckily the Hybrids in front of them were too busy dealing with their Pegasus allies. In the shed they found the Unicorn mare.

Spinning pushed her outside and Rhythm directed the Pegasus stallion.

Two Hybrids blocked their path to the east.

"Where did they come from?!" Spinning shouted.

"This way!" Rhythm spat, dashing in the other direction. He used his magic to push the refugees along.