Chapter 10: Singular Kindness

THE NEXT DAY...

Ozpin P.O.V. Location: Headmaster's office.

(Ozpin) - Damn it.

I slam my hands against my desk in a fit of frustration.

(Ozpin) - DAMN IT!

(Qrow) - Oz, you gotta calm down.

I look up at him, and before I can even think about what I'm about to say-

(Ozpin) - How the fuck am I supposed to calm down, Qrow?! Your family started this mess, several of my students have been injured, one of my staff was robbed, another was humiliated, and as it turns out, the perpetrator involved in the release of Overhaul was one of my own students!

(Port) - I'm getting replacements for my kneecaps tomorrow, I got my money back, and the injured students that were with me last night are going to recover. As far as I'm concerned, our only loss is that of the traitor, Modus Hanji.

(Oobleck) - I don't understand. Why would he do such a thing?

(Glynda) - It's likely that his transcripts were fake. It's also likely that Overhaul has more allies in our walls. We should be careful.

(Ozpin) - ...I need some time to figure this out. You're dismissed. All of you.

They all hesitate for a moment before filing into the elevator, and returning to their duties. I slam my hands down on my desk again, accidentally shaking one of the drawers open. I'm about to shut it when I notice something that wasn't there before.

 I'm about to shut it when I notice something that wasn't there before

I take the device from the drawer, and shut it. I sit down, press the play button, and set the small machine down on my desk. There's a small delay as the recording prepares itself. Then...

(Recording) - *Overhaul's voice* ...Do you like what I'm doing with your world, Ozma?

I flinch. How does he know my original-?!

(Recording) - *Overhaul's voice* I knew that you were a secretive bastard. I had no idea that you were a religious nut. I'm assuming that's why your wife is throwing a temper tantrum. I hope you realize that's your fault.

What does he know about what happened then?! He wasn't there!

(Recording) - *Overhaul's voice* If you had just tried to talk things out with Salem, the two of you wouldn't have destroyed your home, and your daughters wouldn't be dead.

! How dare he-!

(Recording) - *Overhaul's voice* Hell, if you had actually taken the logical way out, and abandoned your conscience, and her alike and left her in that tower, you wouldn't be in this mess. Hate me all you wish, but you KNOW that I'm right. If you had left her alone, you wouldn't be jumping from body to body, making innocent families suffer, and the rest of us could move on with our lives, and live them without dealing with the consequences of your actions. Some of us may not exist in that case. But in my eyes, you fucked us all over in the long-term.